HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Turks and Caicos join Canada?
Yes 58 69.05%
No 26 30.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 8:26 AM

The Province of Turks and Caicos

Just throwing this out here seeing what everyone thinks of this. Should the Islands join Canada? If yes how so? on it's own or with another Province, and so on..

If there is already a thread on this, I am sorry as i did not see it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:15 AM

This conversation always comes up in Canada every decade or so just like the perennial discussion of whether London should change it`s name to the Forest City.

Even if the T&C pleaded to join and Canadians wanted it to it will NEVER happen. Ottawa knows that if they allowed T&C in, Canada will become the next Italy, Spain, or Greece...……...a foot in the door for would-be boat refugees and especially from impoverished Haiti.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:37 AM
ARTchitecture

I'd be down, despite the enormous financial costs. I think it would make sense for it to join as the 11th province in confederation, or perhaps first as a federal territory until we get infrastructure and living standards up to snuff for them, then grant provincehood once certain conditions are achieved.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:49 AM

Always an interesting proposal.
I think it should join as a province in its own right. I know the population is smaller than Nunavut's, but I think the territories in the north should also be provinces now. Anything else just feels like continued colonialism.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegan View Post
Always an interesting proposal.
I think it should join as a province in its own right. I know the population is smaller than Nunavut's, but I think the territories in the north should also be provinces now. Anything else just feels like continued colonialism.
Plus if T&C joined, the population would probably grow Quickly to alot higher then 30K. (or I'd like to think it would.)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:09 AM
Back from the dead

I say no because it's just an expense and there's very little benefit to us admitting them into the confederation.

If people want to go there, the only benefit I can think of is that then they wouldn't need a passport.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:31 PM

Two things: one, my brother, who is an expert on cruises, was there and without knowing about the history re Canada thought the place was a dump. Personally, I always thought it would be a great idea.

Second, if I recall my economics studies correctly, every time a Canadian goes to Florida or the southern US and puts money into that economy, instead of home, that is seen as an import in our balance of trade. If we can get even a quarter of that money back into our economy that would be a good thing.

I should add there are some not so good things, we would likely have to have a military presence and have to pay to upkeep that. Also, I'm not sure if they are kind of a safe haven, port of entry for the drug trade (I may have read that somewhere)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersideIslander07 View Post
Just throwing this out here seeing what everyone thinks of this. Should the Islands join Canada? If yes how so? on it's own or with another Province, and so on..

If there is already a thread on this, I am sorry as i did not see it.
What makes you think that the Turks & Caicos want to join Canada? In any event, my view would be “No”. If they were ever to seek to join Canada, and if the UK had no objection, and Canadians were agreed to let them in (referendum?), it should be as a county of an existing province, rather than as as province or territory.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:03 PM
Closed account

I voted no.

I don't see much upside to Canada, personally. Sure, we might recoup some tourism dollars, but most Canadians go to other places for sun vacations. The appeal of a sun vacation is that it is relatively cheap - Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic are all places pasty Canadians can sit and be drunk on the beach cheaply.

The expensive locations have something of their own attraction - Florida and Arizona are places you can live and explore the surrounding areas.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:55 PM

Tourism to Cuba or the DR will probably still be cheaper than Turks & Caicos even if the latter joins Canada, so we're not likely to repatriate many tourism dollars that way.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm indifferent, really. It probably won't be affordable enough to replace other overseas destinations popular among Canadians. If it was, the sudden influx of Canadians would probably breed resentment among the locals. For the locals, there could potentially be a brain drain as many move to other provinces.

They're not big enough to change Canada, so I don't expect their admission would gently nudge Canada toward a more decentralized federation. In the end, Canada would probably end up damaging aspects of their culture.

They're also more likely to be socially conservative in that region of the world, which we really don't need to nurture.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:22 PM

The whole idea strikes me as a pointless fantasy that comes up every few winters. Is there anything to suggest that people in the Turks and Caicos actually want to join Canada?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the place has absolutely nothing to do with Canada. Seems like Canadian colonialism.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:15 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

If the people of T&C want to join Canada, then sure; if they don't, then no. Pretty simple. Otherwise, I don't really see any particularly compelling reasoning for either side to join up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
the place has absolutely nothing to do with Canada.

Pretty much, though interestingly enough the idea of linking up Canada with one or more of the various British-controlled islands in the Carribbean is something that goes all the way back to the confederation era. Jamaica, Bermuda, et all could have been Canada!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's not colonialism if the people in the Turks and Caicos choose to join Canada.

It would be nice for Canada to have a place with a good year-round climate and similar rules around property ownership, etc. It would be good for the Turks and Caicos to get more investment if it's managed well, and it would be good for them to gain the freedom to move to Canada and work there.

It's also nice for national unity to have a spot Canadians from coast to coast can go for holidays, that all the major airports connect to.

My worry about it is that the Turks and Caicos are too small and that Canada doesn't have a handle on international real estate speculation and money laundering. I think this scheme would probably end up with the Turks and Caicos having ultra expensive housing (if that's not how it is already), and a lot of it would be owned by non-Canadians who get a more or less free ride. Many locals probably would see their living standards fall. This isn't how it has to be, but it's how it probably would turn out right now.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:30 PM

I would think Saint Pierre and Miquelon would be more likely.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I voted no.

I don't see much upside to Canada, personally. Sure, we might recoup some tourism dollars, but most Canadians go to other places for sun vacations. The appeal of a sun vacation is that it is relatively cheap - Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic are all places pasty Canadians can sit and be drunk on the beach cheaply.

The expensive locations have something of their own attraction - Florida and Arizona are places you can live and explore the surrounding areas.
Exactly. There are very few Canadians who are the type to fly south for a sun vacation yet have no passport and can't get one. (Those would be the "captive" market that would vacation in T&C.)

I think the costs would be much higher than the benefits.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Actually... no.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
But snowbirds can't comfortably vacation in SPM, thereby rendering this entire silly notion pointless.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
But snowbirds can't comfortably vacation in SPM, thereby rendering this entire silly notion pointless.
I hear that SPM has a very pleasant climate - compared to St. John's........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada