HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 12:51 PM

Christmas this year in Canada

Considering we are headed towards Christmas which is in less than a month, I wonder what kind of restrictions there will be for all of us Canadians when it comes to spending Christmas with our families whether it be immediate or immediate plus extended family members? Especially considering last year in Canada we could not even spend Christmas with our families because of this pandemic. But now that we have a high vaccination rate as a country and also developments with booster shots too, I wonder if they ease up on restrictions here in Canada and we can actually get to see all of our family members during Christmas?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 1:15 PM

I would not expect Christmas to be any different than now. In Ontario unvaccinated people will have limited access to restaurants, bars, events, etc. and travel will be limited to private vehicle. Religious services will still have capacity limits. Shoppers and visitors to Mall Santas will still have to wear masks. I don't believe there are limits on private gatherings right now. It won't be a "normal" Christmas, but probably a lot better than last year in most provinces.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I would not expect Christmas to be any different than now. In Ontario unvaccinated people will have limited access to restaurants, bars, events, etc. and travel will be limited to private vehicle. Religious services will still have capacity limits. Shoppers and visitors to Mall Santas will still have to wear masks. I don't believe there are limits on private gatherings right now. It won't be a "normal" Christmas, but probably a lot better than last year in most provinces.
I sure hope so because I do know that I would love nothing more than to be able to see my family for Christmas

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 1:58 PM

We have no idea what we're doing yet.

Normally we rent out the hall at a local church, but the normal way is for them to just give us a key, and we open up, do our thing, clean and leave. With Covid-rules, they are required to have someone there checking and responsible for vax-status. That's just too much of a burden for the church who already is being forced to cut staff who don't want to get vaxxed, so they are not even renting out the hall at all.

We do all our other gatherings (Easter, Father's Day, Opa's birthday) at various family members houses since we can hang out both indoors / outdoors, but need the hall for Christmas because it's winter and nobody can fit 50-70 people inside.

Trying to rent another hall is a possibility, but there's a few un-vaxed aunts and uncles in the mix.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
We have no idea what we're doing yet.

Normally we rent out the hall at a local church, but the normal way is for them to just give us a key, and we open up, do our thing, clean and leave. With Covid-rules, they are required to have someone there checking and responsible for vax-status. That's just too much of a burden for the church who already is being forced to cut staff who don't want to get vaxxed, so they are not even renting out the hall at all.

We do all our other gatherings (Easter, Father's Day, Opa's birthday) at various family members houses since we can hang out both indoors / outdoors, but need the hall for Christmas because it's winter and nobody can fit 50-70 people inside.

Trying to rent another hall is a possibility, but there's a few un-vaxed aunts and uncles in the mix.
For Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Eve I usually celebrate it at my aunts & uncles' houses so it would be nice if I could do that again

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:27 PM

I can fly back to B.C for Christmas this year, though I will admit Christmas last year with just me and my dog was fun. Knowing travel was not doable last year I started buying myself gifts and wrapping them from August. First Christmas ever I loved all of my gifts. It was the first time in years I was able to put up a real tree at home. Bought it on the Empire Sandy Sail boat which was fun as well. 11ft tree was only $25.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:32 PM

It's sad that this years Santa Clause Parade has been cancelled again, the main factor is that those 11years old and under remain unvaccinated.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:35 PM

Just have to wait and see what freedoms our masters will grant us. Difficult to predict because the granting of fundamental freedoms tends to be arbitrary and capricious in a country like Canada.

Hopefully one day they will allow us to exercise religious freedoms, but not holding my breath.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It's sad that this years Santa Clause Parade has been cancelled again, the main factor is that those 11years old and under remain unvaccinated.
Well makes sense why the Santa Claus parade would be canceled but hopefully kids this year all over Canada can see Santa at their malls and what not

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:38 PM
Fake News

I had hoped for a more normal Christmas this year but don't foresee that happening.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:40 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Just have to wait and see what freedoms our masters will grant us. Difficult to predict because the granting of fundamental freedoms tends to be arbitrary and capricious in a country like Canada.

Hopefully one day they will allow us to exercise religious freedoms, but not holding my breath.
WAR on Christmas!!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I blame everything on wokeism and CRT run amok. And unilingual CEOs of Air Canada.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:47 PM

I'm curious what "masters" are controlling your religious freedoms? Sounds like far right fearmongering.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I had hoped for a more normal Christmas this year but don't foresee that happening.
I think we get a normal Christmas with our families this year since there's no limit on restrictions for amount of people we can have in our households

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If those fucking asshat anti-vaxxers had done their fucking part by taking their fucking shots like the rest of us we wouldn't be in this fucking situation.

FUCK the fucking stupid and selfish anti-vaxxer shitheads. I hate them.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:18 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
If those fucking asshat anti-vaxxers had done their fucking part by taking their fucking shots like the rest of us we wouldn't be in this fucking situation.

What situation? There are basically zero restrictions in place that are preventing anybody from celebrating Christmas or any other holidays as they so choose.

We're at the point with COVID where restrictions are entirely self-imposed. My family's all vaccinated - nothing stopping us from getting together.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
I think we get a normal Christmas with our families this year since there's no limit on restrictions for amount of people we can have in our households
Alberta still has restrictions. I'll probably see my in-laws but can't risk it with my own family as they pose the greatest risk of transmission to my pregnant wife and unvaxxed toddler. I thought that natural immunity and vaccination would be enough but my dad just caught Covid for a second time in 3 mths after receiving his second shot. I don't even expect this to be the last time.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
What situation? There are basically zero restrictions in place that are preventing anybody from celebrating Christmas or any other holidays as they so choose.

We're at the point with COVID where restrictions are entirely self-imposed. My family's all vaccinated - nothing stopping us from getting together.
See Alberta's Best Summer Ever for what happens if you throw caution to the wind just because there are no restrictions.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:25 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Yep. The online propagandists have managed to turn vaccination and mask mandates into the most polarizing issue since Trump was elected. The anti vaxxers I know have moved well beyond basic selfishness to looney tunes level brainwashing. The irrational fear they have of getting vaccinated is beyond reason.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Considering we are headed towards Christmas which is in less than a month, I wonder what kind of restrictions there will be for all of us Canadians...
Slow down. Who cares about restrictions when they've moved up Christmas?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada