HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 9:49 AM

OMAHA: A Sad City With Rays of Hope

Omaha, like many cities, went through it's backwards phases of urban developments which destroyed perfectly viable older structures only to be replaced by surface parking lots (if by anything at all) all in the name of "redevelopment". Thankfully things are improving in even the long quiet parts of Downtown Omaha.

Leaving Mi Casa, The Westbrook Tower, which would later experience a fire on one of the upper floors. Luckily the sprinklers kicked in and flooded down to my apartment, drenching my roommates room.

Parking Garages for the old NNG (Enron) Building, Joslyn Art Museum in background.

These garages aren't as derelict as they look; they are still in use and full of cars. The graffiti is fairly recent but the building is still maintained and has a security presence.

NNG south entrance

This is where I often see police cars parked overnight. I wondered what it would look like from there.

I've really come to appreciate this buildings style; it is rather frowned upon by many on a local Omaha board. I was never a fan of it before but it has grown on me. It definitely has a certain kind of charm of it's era and is not entirely without merit architecturally. Sadly, the building is now vacant though it has been rumored to attract possible tenants. This corner is popular with skaters from nearby Central High School.

A classic example of Downtown Omaha's urban high and low points criss-crossing each other. The Westbrook has been one of the few residential properties in this part of Downtown. Further down Douglas St. the Farm Credit building is undergoing a renovation from an underused office building to rental residential.

2400 Dodge (NNG Building)

Douglas Street: One of only 6 east/west streets into Downtown, is loaded with many civic institutions on the eastern side of DT. The western side is sparse, with only clusters of activity, though it can boast some of it's own powerhouse local attractions. (Not pictured)

"There's no parking Downtown." Uttered by many a naive citizen, DT is in fact littered with parking. Big, ugly parking.

I have a friend Nick who's very much Hollywood (by Omaha standards anyways) so this was a neat find.

A lovely view of more parking, and an entire block without even the courtesy of a parking lot.

Looking west towards Midtown, the view is not entirely bleak. Vacant lots could be future sites of numerous projects to create a more urban neighborhood. With recent momentum of large scale projects completed to the east and west of here, this area could have a bright future. Release the doves!

...but this being Omaha it's ripe for fuckuppery.

More massive, little used parking lots. Meanwhile the Joslyn Art Museum (on hill) has completed an outdoor sculpture garden and newly constructed apartments geared at students for nearby Creighton University students. Another complex was recently announced in addition to this one, I believe.

Midtown in the distance. The recently completed 600 unit Midtown Crossing sits in front of the Mutual of Omaha buildings. For having gaps in developments, all of the of the buildings in this picture are in use. The area is not derelict and low crime despite some people's impressions.

Facing east from atop the Douglas Parking Garage; largely empty.

Remember, "There's no parking Downtown!" And these spots cost a whopping $3 A DAY! The horror!

20th and Douglas overlooking the Masonic right manor and the windowless back of AT&T. That used to be an ornately decorated building until the hideous brick abortion was added to the back and the white ornamentation lining the roof swapped for the funky telcom towers; the buildings signature feature and one time highest point Downtown, pre-Woodmen.

Work on the Farm Credit conversion to residential.

First National

The name of the (taller) building escapes me now but it is slated to be converted to apartments as well. This would be the second residential conversion to take place on 19th St., not a historic residential center downtown.

Front to back: Wells Fargo, The Conant Apartments, Civic Center (City Hall).

Another shining example of Omaha's mish-mash of active nodes surrounded by blunders of poor urban planning. The Rose Theater and neighboring drive-thru for Wells Fargo...

...god bless it.

I had to run out quick into the street to get this before the light changed.

The Woodmen Tower with it's rarely photographed base. I think this pedestal sets it apart from it's other top-to-bottom WTC-esque contemporaries.

Around the CBD.

This is one of the strangest parking garages I have seen in any city. It is built over the street between the buildings. The Brandies (pictured) used to be Omaha's last Downtown department store and at one time shoppers filled the necessary, if oddly placed, garage.

Looking out from the other side.

Heading up.

First National and the Brandies. While the outside still retains it's original character, much of it was swapped for cookie-cutter suburbia styled interiors. Sad.

The next night I went out and snapped these from the Iowa side of the Kerrey Bridge. This view was previously unseen due to trees on this side of the levy. It was a sporadic warm day so there were many people outside taking advantage of it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 9:43 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great tour!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 12:32 AM

They have some great mid-century office buildings there. Nice sky pics at the end.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 12:39 AM
Red brick mama.

Great thread! I've never been to Omaha, but I've heard it packs a punch.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 1:54 AM
She needs her space

I like the Josly, the Rose, and there's another old neo-classical/beaux arts building that looked good. Aside from First National, I don't care for any of the office buildings.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 2:22 AM

I gotta' be honest: Yikes. This place redefines bleak.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 2:35 AM
Give us a kiss

Thanks for the tour. I haven't been back since 2006 and this brought back memories. You did a great job of showing how much contrast there is downtown -- definitely a few gems in there, unfortunately lost among some pretty generic haphazard, auto centric development. Still, I have a sweet spot for the place.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 2:51 AM

Some nice photos and buildings.

There is something neutron-bombish about those broad, quiet midwestern city streets, not just in Omaha, but must downtowns in the heartland. Where are people?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 3:12 AM
skyscrapers!

Looks super bland and super Middle-American.

The traffic seems really light to have such wide streets. Is there ANY retail or any restaurants?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 3:56 AM
BANNED

Beautiful city! I always have nices feelings for Omaha.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 4:20 AM

^The comments seen here are totally justifiable given the photos that were shown. I want to be clear that, despite my user name, I have not lived in Omaha in six years (though I still go back often).

Truth be told, Omaha has the most vibrant downtown (and greatest DT architectural presence) of any city in the U.S. with a metro pop of between 600,000 and 1 million people. I can say this, because I've been to almost all cities in this size range, and I currently live in Albuquerque (which is approx the same size). These photos show the "other side" of downtown - it is far from the heart of the CBD or retail/restaurant district (the Old Market), or the newly reinvigorated riverfront. This area is currently the no-man's land that is gradually filling in with some new businesses and housing.

That said, I'm amazed by the emptiness portrayed in these photos - even for this area, I'd expect to see some streetlife...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 4:22 PM

The first shots do look a little more bleak than I expected. But, there is also some gorgeous old (and new) architecture in downtown Omaha, and the city is apparently growing pretty fast. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like in ten years.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 4:54 PM

Although downtown Omaha has seen a lot of improvements in the last 15 years, these photos still show that there is a lot of work to be done. The Old Market, River Front, and Gene Leahy Mall are all examples of vibrant areas of downtown.

The more western side, however, is pretty desolate. I've always been turned off by this side of downtown and have hoped that improvements are made. It's also a shame that it serves as a gateway between Midtown and Downtown and looks so bleak.

If I had the option of a few new skyscrapers versus a total overhaul of this side of downtown, I'd pick the overhaul.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:19 PM
Beer Stampede

I agree!! There is a lot of work to be done. Hopefully, if and when the economy changes for the better, there will be more of a demand for mid to hi-rise residential development. But definately, use up the older buildings first, then start bulldozing the parking lots!! Nice thread BTW!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:36 PM
Never Dell

Glad I read the comments. The orginal post was good photography, but made me think Omaha was, well, a sad city.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:39 AM

Great photography and well captured, but I have to say in full honesty, the downtown looks worse than I would have ever expected, and the overall downtown composition of buildings and wide avenues looks pretty bad There's a couple beautiful old structures,, but some of those buildings are murdered by reclads and additions. I also can tend to appreciate MCM office towers from time to time, but they don't look like they are doing the downtown any good.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:30 AM
Closed account

It always amazes me that at SSP, forumers see a few photos and assume an entire city (or CBD) is as depicted in the photos.

There's a whole lot more to Omaha than this.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 7:36 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, looks more bombed out than Tulsa, and thats pretty bad. Hopefully things get better for Omaha, not too many see that city, it quite out of the way. Im sure that its a lot better than what you showed but still damn.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 7:52 PM

Nice pictures - great perspective and skies. I think those high-modern office blocks are due a return to fashion before too long.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 3:58 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Truth be told, Omaha has the most vibrant downtown (and greatest DT architectural presence) of any city in the U.S. with a metro pop of between 600,000 and 1 million people. I can say this, because I've been to almost all cities in this size range, and I currently live in Albuquerque (which is approx the same size).
Ahem, perhaps 2nd to Honolulu in vibrancy!

DTO Luv, thanks for the tour & commentary. The city does look sad in these pics but I like Omaha (been awhile since i've been there though). I see its potential as well & hope that those surface parking lots will eventually be filled with some buildings! Anyway, I've often wondered if Kansas City has the same affect on Omaha as Seattle does on Portland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos