HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 6:16 AM

That's OAKLAND?!

To be perfectly honest, I debated whether or not I should do this thread. I've had this set for around a week now, but I planned on waiting until I had new pics that weren't taken in the Oakland Hills. The simple reason is because the goal of my project is to offer a balanced look at Oakland; exclusively focusing on or condemning/praising one part of it IMO is dishonest. I want people to understand that the sum of whatever the flatlands and the hills and downtown and etc. are and aren't is what Oakland is, no more and no less.

Sometimes, though, I wonder whether always attempting to keep it real actually doesn't fully do justice to the unique aspects of each part. For example, in my opinion, some of the neighborhoods in the Oakland Hills are just about the most beautiful affluent neighborhoods in the Bay Area. In a way, despite that I've covered the area, I don't think that I've really illustrated that belief because I've never focused on showing it.

What makes me hesitant, though, is that I realize that a lot of people find that showing beauty for the sake of showing beauty often rings false, particularly when it glorifies wealth (and lots of it). I definitely understand that sentiment... in fact, I definitely felt that exact same sentiment when I read the New York Times travel article on Oakland a couple months ago that basically told the readership to overlook "the grit" and focus on the "trendy and hip" side of town. I wonder whether the author has ever actually looked at the grit in person or whether he/she just assumes there's nothing worth seeing.

However, I also don't want to be someone who's afraid to sing praises that should be sung. However odd that may sound, I find that it's true of a lot of Oaklanders, and in this case, even of those who live in the Hills. Our one-dimensional media representation has become embedded into the culture of the Bay Area to the point where there's the expectation that an Oaklander is supposed to entertain and affirm questions like, "Is Oakland really that bad?" or, "Aren't you afraid that you'll get shot?" from people who often haven't spent a second of their lives here.

In other words, I realized that I too had internalized that same inferiority complex. Instead of replying to comments like that the way that I imagine someone from say, San Francisco would if they were asked that question about their own city - probably something along the lines of "What kind of a stupid question is that" if not more profane - I inwardly roll my eyes while telling them what they expect to hear, which is what I'm expected to do. I'm not going to do that anymore.

To be clear, this is not a rant directed towards anybody on SSP. If anything, I find that the posters here are some of the most open-minded on the net when it comes to having the ability to look at people, places and things with a complexity that escapes far too many. This is more my own general statement that I don't think there's any reason to accept an inferiority complex just because I'm expected to. Oakland is a great and beautiful place, and screw anybody who says differently who hasn't experienced it for themselves. It can also be a terrible and ugly place, and it's that duality that ultimately makes it both.

I think that just might be the longest preamble I've ever written... lol.

The neighborhoods covered in this thread are Merriewood, Hiller Highlands and Claremont Hills. The latter two were the Oakland neighborhoods most affected by the Oakland Hills fire back in 1992... I mention that because its one of the themes of this set.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

20)

21)

22)

23)

24)

25)

Thanks for viewing my thread. All feedback is appreciated and will be returned.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 11:15 AM

Amazing. I love the Bay Area.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 5:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Very nice! I love the Oakland and Berkeley hills and came very close to buying up there. Some of the best views in the Bay Area. I don't see anything wrong with focusing on specific neighborhoods in a photo thread. I think we all know there is more to a city than any given neighborhood. And you've already done such a great job documenting other parts of the city that I can't imagine anyone thinking you are trying to slant folks' opinions in some way.

BTW, if locals ask you questions like that, you would be totally justified to roll your eyes. If they're going to be unashamedly ignorant and condescending, you should be unapologetically indignant. Then there are those who just randomly hate other parts of the region (I've heard that both toward and from virtually every corner of the BA at one time or another). They are beyond reasoning with and simply best ignored.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 6:46 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Stunning. Very dramatic; Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
Babylon falling

I refuse to believe this is Oakland, Ant Banks and Goldie did not live like this! Spice 1 is gunna hunt you down for misrepresentin son.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
I refuse to believe this is Oakland, Ant Banks and Goldie did not live like this! Spice 1 is gunna hunt you down for misrepresentin son.

That turf-hopper wouldn't be one to talk

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thank you for this new thread and pictures, Nineties!

Beautiful houses and views from that area of Oakland. Wonderful views of the Bay and San Francisco. Very nice neighbourhoods.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:45 PM

Monsieur Flava:

I applaud, once again, your continuing chronicle of Oakland. As a fan of the Town who steered your "transparent eye" to Oakland's wealthy Upper Rockridge/Claremont Pines, Montclair (both the "Piedmont side" and the high hills east of highway 13),Upper Oakmore, and upper Chabot Park Estates, I'm so very glad that you have added to these threads the hitherto unexplored Hiller Highlands.

I, too, have issues with our society's fetishizing wealth to the obscuring of the continuing racial/class inequities we accept for the concentration of wealth in so small a percent of the American body politic.

So why do I champion Oakland's affluent to wealthy neighborhoods? First, I do so because Oakland's wealthiest neighborhoods are, for the most part, far more racially diverse than their counterparts in supposedly "liberal" San Francisco, Berkeley, and Marin County. Oakland's wealthy liberals, whatever their race or complexion, could choose to live anywhere, and so their commitment to a city unfairly disparaged makes their liberalism all the more muscular, true, committed, and real.

But the existence of Oakland's expansive wealthy neighborhoods steadfastly refutes the racist/classist stereotypes of Oakland being nothing but a "ghetto." I love cities, peoples, individuals that send the flying finger of beauty right into the eye of ugly bigotries and ignorance.

So, yes, thank you for continuing to show the truth of Oakland's grit and the price of our bigotries, class delusions, and racial misadventures.

But thank you ever so much for showing how Oakland also gets it very, very right and beautiful, which in my mind and way of thinking shows that even amidst our follies, we can form community from the many, and we can achieve grace and graciousness. Oakland's earned its beautiful neighborhoods, and I for one am glad you've given the world a view of just how cultured and sophisticated a girl from the 'hood can really be.

By the way, if memory serves, images 3, 20, and 24 are from northern Skyline Blvd and Valley Road up in Merriweather, which is a neighborhood within the Montclair district (Montclair extends from just north of the Caldecott, south down to Joaquin Miller, and from west of highway 13, abutting the wealthy, segregated city of Piedmont, to east of northern Skyline Blvd to the Contra Costa county line. Montclair includes Merriweather, Glen Highlands, Fernwood, Piedmont Pines, and a couple of other beautiful nabes as well.)

Many thanks for the thread. Perhaps you can add a thread featuring old Montclair's Pershing Drive, Dawes, La Salle, Wood, and Estates drives for views of truly beautiful older estates, chateaux, and early moderns, as well as new Montclair's Muezela, Fairlane, Swainland, and Ruthland drives for a taste of the newer money that has taken root in the Oakland Hills.

Many thanks!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:06 PM
furified freestyle

nice little shorty set here -- your intro was longer than your photo show! really, nice pics. #10 really illustrates how massive the new bay bridge is.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:26 PM

These hilly districts make me envious of what we dont have over here in the NYC area. The scenic views are amazing.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 8:36 PM

I like that black & white contrasted shot of the deer

that 19th shot really captured my attention for some reason...

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 8:43 PM

Spectacular views, would love to see those at night! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:27 AM

Shameless bump

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:37 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Bravo Nineties. Great sets, you really had no reason to pause on posting this thread, because you have been extremely comprehensive in your photo threads. Keep it up!
I love that last pic, stunning.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:37 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Shameless bump
Glad you did. This is legit.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:49 AM

I'm glad you bumped this up. I've been so swamped at work I haven't been visiting SSP as much as I'd like so I'm sure I've missed some nice threads. This one in particular is timely because I am planning a move to be closer to work in Oakland and looked at and was offered an apartment in the Parkwoods condo complex at the top of the very neighborhoods you show here. These are the views I was looking at when I was deciding whether or not I wanted to accept the rental. Ultimately, I decided to decline (which I may regret since the rental market is so tight these days), but, I did so in part because I was in junior high when the fires happened and part of me was is worried about living in the same named complex that was literally built over the ashes of the previous complex that burned down in less than an hour. But, more so because, as beautiful as the homes and hills are, the area is isolated from the rest of the community.

Thanks though for sharing. To really present a city, you have to ALL sides.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 6:25 PM

Ah this thread holds a special place in my heart. It brings me back to my teenage years when I was very into downhill skateboarding and Tunnel and Hiller road were my stomping grounds while skating with the crazy Oakland crew.

Beautiful set Nineties Flava, I'm currently in the process of looking for a place in Oakland, I'm getting out of San Francisco, this social networking tech bubble is too much for me, it's changing the city in ways I don't like, and Oakland always keeps it real.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:33 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

That's what you were talking about.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
That's what you were talking about.
Yup lol.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 12:36 PM

oakland can be beautiful; stunning shots of the Berkeley Hills. How close are some of those areas of large homes to Piedmont?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos