HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I think there's an over reaction by some living in a nation long dominated by one sport: hockey. People who prefer other sports build up frustration and instead of simply supporting the sport of their choice they seem compelled to trash hockey. They do the same thing to the CFL. The concept that people can like more than 1 sport is foreign to them. It's one or the other for them.

There's also a sense of entitlement bred into hockey fans in Canada. They've long been spoiled so now that they're confronted with sharing time with other sports some of them get angry. Many Leafs fans were irate that the Raptors game wasn't cut off when the Leafs game started. The Toronto Star article I linked earlier made mention of that. I think there's alot of truth to it.
Part of the sensitivity likely comes from the fact that iconic Canadian stuff that has some measure of universal appeal is pretty elusive or not always apparent for a lot of people. Hockey is one of the most obvious exceptions to the rule, which is why some people can be so obsessive and even defensive about it.

But as I said in another post, it's not abormal to have one sport totally dominate fan interest in a country. Many countries are like this (at least inasmuch as there is only one team sport that has ubiquity) but that sport is almost always soccer of course.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada