HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 4:28 PM

Ft. Stewart, GA 3rd Infantry Division "Rock of the Marne"

Welcome to Ft. Stewart, GA where today it is 100 degrees +, humidity is 99%, the gators are snapping, mosquitos biting and the dog-face soldiers are preparing for war... after seven long years in Iraq the 3rd Infantry Division turns its attention from Iraq to Afghanistan as all 4 combat brigades gear up to relieve our brothers in arms across that nation.

My barracks parking lot and PT area... 2-7 Infantry Battalion

3rd ID locomotive

My 93 Bronco in the background...

Down the track...

FRONT GATE and Division HQ

Park here and you are f*cked

View of HQ side

Reception pavilion for dignitaries and foreign leaders...

ROCKY- The original DOG-FACE SOLDIER

More to come after work...

INFANTRY - "FOLLOW ME"

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 5:31 PM

Reminds me a lot of northern Florida. Seeing the pictures of pines like that brings back lots of memories. The smell of a pine forest is amazing.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:07 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Welcome to Ft. Stewart, GA where today it is 100 degrees +, humidity is 99%, the gators are snapping, mosquitos biting and the dog-face soldiers are preparing for war... after seven long years in Iraq the 3rd Infantry Division turns its attention from Iraq to Afghanistan as all 4 combat brigades gear up to relieve our brothers in arms across that nation.

More to come after work...

INFANTRY - "FOLLOW ME"
Shit, what took you so long?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Shit, what took you so long?
As soon as I got out of sandhill I went to airborne and then Ranger school, I got booted from Ranger school 45 days in (out of 62) when my ankle just went to shit and I couldn't keep up with the ruck marches anymore. So instead of being in 1st Bat in Savannah I got sent to 2-7 Infantry in 1st brigade, 3rd ID. As soon as we got here we had an intense train-up period for EIB (Expert Infantry Badge) and now we have a few down weeks to recover before the actual EIB lanes are held. But yeah these are over-do for sure.

Part of the 3rd ID museum collection...

More division and rocky...

Names of great men who epitomized what it means to fight for freedom... I don't care if you thinks thats corny, because its true.

Historic Marne Chapel

Family Center

PX

1st Brigade "Raiders" HQ

Bowling Alley

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:56 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
As soon as I got out of sandhill I went to airborne and then Ranger school, I got booted from Ranger school 45 days in (out of 62) when my ankle just went to shit and I couldn't keep up with the ruck marches anymore. So instead of being in 1st Bat in Savannah I got sent to 2-7 Infantry in 1st brigade, 3rd ID. As soon as we got here we had an intense train-up period for EIB (Expert Infantry Badge) and now we have a few down weeks to recover before the actual EIB lanes are held. But yeah these are over-do for sure.
Bummer on Ranger school, but at least you can claim that you're only a quasi dirty-leg. Congratulations on making it through the Airborne and through a good chunk of Ranger school.

And good luck on the EIB qual.

Lovely pictures of Fort Stewart. It's no Bragg, but I like the attempts to keep the Southern-style architecture in the new buildings. Especially the 1BCT HQ.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 7:01 PM

...Rail depot

Concrete plant? I dont know.

M1A2 Abrams

Uparmored HMVEES

Roll-over/IED Trainers (how to get the fuck out of a flipped and burning truck while taking contact)

a road like many...

Cottrel Field... everyone loves this place because its where the home-comings are held.

Golf Course across from my Barracks.

Down the way...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 7:54 PM
Community Guy

Nice tour, thanks.

But one question I always have about bases, why such shitty architecture.

Our big base here, Namao, has the same shit look.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
Red October standing by

good to see you on the forums again. nice pics of my home away from home.

how about some Hinesville...err, Savannah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Nice tour, thanks.

But one question I always have about bases, why such shitty architecture.

Our big base here, Namao, has the same shit look.
because they're bases; utilitarian is the key word. you think this is bad? try Fort Hood. there's only one really nice building on it...a quasi art-nouvea chapel that reminds me of the Mecantile building in Dallas.

all of the neo-neo classical HQ buildings on Stewart make me drool; reminds me of an Air Force base. makes me thankful my office in Iraq was better than at Hood.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 3:51 AM

Nice pictures. It's good to see an ever-diverse array of places shown on here. We had Wounded Knee and the Indian Reservation some months ago, and now a nice, good look at a Military Reservation.

Are you allowed to take pictures around there? Is there any restrictions on where you can explore or who can do what there? We have Dover AFB up here and one day I'd like to get in and do a "city tour" but I think it will never happen because I'm just a civilian.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Nice pictures. I have a buddy that's stationed down there .

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 8:34 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Great pictures, and good luck on your future deployment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Are you allowed to take pictures around there? Is there any restrictions on where you can explore or who can do what there? We have Dover AFB up here and one day I'd like to get in and do a "city tour" but I think it will never happen because I'm just a civilian.
Yeah, that'll never happen unless you're friends with someone stationed on the base, and can sign you in as a guest.

For the most part, you can take pictures all you want outdoors, but there are restricted areas, which are well designated, roped off/red line and usually have heavy security around them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 9:32 PM

Interestingly, Ft. Stewart is one of the few army bases in the South NOT named after a Confederate general.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos