HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

fort garry brewing brought out a new ipa called portage and main one that deffinatly needs to be drunk cold

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...ba=biboergosum

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:12 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

So I uh.. I kinda like beer. In fact, my roommate and I have been brewing our own since September (well, he's been at it for four years). Right now we have a heffy, Tankhouse clone, porter, pumpkin (bottling tomorrow), and imperial IPA.

But this was my fridge when I first got back to St. John's in August. I bought most of it in Calgary and BC, then picked up a bit more while driving here through the states.

Some breweries I've had lately:

Europe
BrewDog (Scotland) - excellent IPAs and very good at everything else they do. Famous for ludicrous-strength beers like Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink the Bismark (30-50% abv).

Chimay (Belgium) - I like all the Trappist breweries (even got my hands on some Westvleteren), but Chimay Blue was my first beer love.

Fullers and Wychwood (England) - I'm a sucker for typical English ales like London Pride and Hobgoblin. I like ESBs as well, which Fullers does well.

Porterhouse (Ireland) - Their oyster stout is probably my favourite stout. It's so damn smooth!

Leffe (Belgium) - About as close to a macro as I'll get (in fact, it kind of is, seeing as it's owned by InBev), but I love the brown. The blonde is good too (nearly identical to our own hefenweizen), but it's not at the same level. Unfortunately, while the blonde is available pretty much anywhere in Canada, the brown is really hard to find (though oddly enough, it's easy to find in Ontario).

Pilsner Urquell (Czech Rep.) - The classic (real) pilsner, and I love it.

USA
Lagunitas (California) - Outstanding brewery all round, but I dies for their IPA.

Stone (California) - Haven't had much other than a couple IPAs, but they were ridiculously good. Unfortunately, they seem hard to find in Canada still.

Rogue (Oregon) - Overpriced and overhyped (especially the former), but they do know what they're doing anyway. I'm fond of their hazelnut brown ale, but the voodoo donut (maple bacon ale) is one of the grossest things I've tasted.

So many others that I've had and loved, but don't really drink enough of to know what to say about them.

Canada
Lighthouse (Victoria) - Belgian Black is the beer of the summer for me. Their Switchback IPA was also really good (much better than the regular Beacon). Lighthouse is really just one of many crazy good Victoria breweries, along with Driftwood, Phillips (worsening), Hoynes, and a few more. It's the one I'm most familiar with though.

Tree (Kelowna) - Hop Head is okay, and Duke's cider isn't at the same level as Rock Creek or Lonetree, but the Tree product that surprised me the most this summer was a pineapple beer that was really well done. I don't normally like fruit-flavoured beers, but the pineapple was subtle and not just used to mask blandness.

Howe Sound (Squamish) - Love, love, fucking love!! King Heffy is a staple of mine when I'm in AB and BC, and they had some pretty potent seasonals this summer (I think they were seasonal, anyway). Pothole Filler (imperial stout) and Total Eclipse of the Hop (imperial IPA) were among the best drinks I've had this year.

Big Rock (Calgary) - Okay, hometown bias here. I like Trad. BR isn't at the level of most of the above breweries, but they seem to be branching out a bit and are certainly more drinkable than any macro. Unfortunately not sold in Newfoundland any more for whatever reason.

Wild Rose (Calgary) - Velvet Fog was the first Calgary beer that made an impression on me, and I still drink a fair bit of it when I go home. I don't drink much of their other stuff.

Village (Calgary) - I always head to Willow Park to grab a growler of Village Wit when I go home. It's tasty, and god damn it, there's just something special about sitting around a kitchen (winter) or fire (summer) passing around a growler of local beer with good friends. Special moments have been made over this one.

Paddock Wood (Saskatoon) - Surprisingly good IPA (606? 909? It's a numbered name, anyway). I didn't try anything else from them in my two weeks in Toon Town this summer, but I will when I get an opportunity.

Mill Street (Toronto) - Tankhouse is a staple for me. It's decently strong and easy to find. As I mentioned, we did a clone of this in September (But added more hops). In their halloween/fall seasonal pack right now they have a pumpkin beer and an Octoberfest beer. The former is way, way too spiced; it's like drinking pumpkin pie, and I cannot do more than one. The Octoberfest brew is very solid.

Unibroue (Chambly, QC) - If Chimay Blue was my first beer love, La Fin du Monde was my first Canadian beer love. Unibroue can do no wrong; even their ephemere is outstanding. We'll be doing a 'Fin' clone at some point this year.

Storm (St. John's) - It's just a shame their output is so small. They only brew one beer at a time and in limited amounts. The coffee porter they did last winter was amazing. Possibly the best porter I've ever tasted.

Yellowbelly (St. John's) - A brewpub and restaurant downtown (their basement is my favourite bar in the city) that's working on new facilities to expand output. Hopefully this means they'll expand their selection or get more creative with seasonals. Of the four regulars (a stout, pale ale, wheat ale, and red), the St. John's Stout and Pale Ale are the best. The frustrating thing about Yellowbelly is that they clearly know how to brew good beer, but their seasonals are often so close to one of the regulars it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the current one (another pale ale) is the same recipe as the regular, but with Newfoundland hops instead of Cascade. So okay, it appeals to Newfoundland pride (and it's called Republic Pale Ale and the tricolour is on the label), but it's a shame they aren't more adventurous. The IPA they did last winter was very well done. Hopefully something like that becomes a permanent fixture on their taps once they have the ability to brew more beer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:19 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post

Who needs food when you have that much beer?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great post, Ayreonaut! And you have to let us try some of the pumpkin one - split a glass 6 ways or something.

Also, when does Storm's coffee porter come out again... I'm going to try to stock up enough for a year this season. Literally buy all of them every time I find any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Yellowbelly (St. John's) - ... The frustrating thing about Yellowbelly is that they clearly know how to brew good beer, but their seasonals are often so close to one of the regulars it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the current one (another pale ale) is the same recipe as the regular, but with Newfoundland hops instead of Cascade. So okay, it appeals to Newfoundland pride (and it's called Republic Pale Ale and the tricolour is on the label), but it's a shame they aren't more adventurous. The IPA they did last winter was very well done. Hopefully something like that becomes a permanent fixture on their taps once they have the ability to brew more beer.
I'm ashamed and disappointed in myself for how much I now want that beer. They know their market. If you get any, PLEASE save me a bottle! Does Sobeys carry it?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I got it, Ayreonaut. Saturday night is settled. ;-)

AND ISLAND GOLD IS AVAILABLE AGAIN! Sobeys still has a few left, if you want to pop over.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 7:08 PM
User Registered

I was at Oktoberfest in Kitchener yesterday. They had Canadian and Coors Light on tap, also they were out of wienerschnitzel.

What an authentic Bavarian experience it was!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 8:55 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I was at Oktoberfest in Kitchener yesterday. They had Canadian and Coors Light on tap, also they were out of wienerschnitzel.

wow, I had no idea it sucked. sounds really pathetic

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ayreonaut, Republic Pale Ale is AWFUL. It tastes like grass.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:

I think people are finally waking up to the downside of having Molson's as the official sponsor of K-W Oktoberfest. The organizers, perhaps correctly, say it's the only way to secure the kind of funding they need to run an event of that scale. On the other hand, for an event dedicated to beer (even if they are not allowed to say so in Presbyterian Ontario ), it might be nice to have the option of trying some real beer, be it German or Canadian.

After 40 years or whatever it is, Oktoberfest is an event that is in serious need of a shake up, imho.

Which of the festhallen did you go to? I think there's like 18 or 20 of them.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 1:44 PM

I went to the one at the Aud. Or at least I thought it was supposed to be. It was actually in the much smaller Kiwanis arena attached to it. Low ceiling, low lighting, hot and stuffy inside. The ticket lines were incredibly long, slow and inefficient (3 people behind the kiosk, but only doing on person at a time, the fuck??). The draught beer was Canadian and Coors Light (boooo) but I got some Creemore with the premium tickets so that was good.

Weirdest/worst part, at 12:45 they just shut down all the beer tents! They didn't announce it, didn't give any warning, just shut them down! At 12:45! Tons of people, including my girlfriend who were pacing themselves or had extra beer tickets were just told tough shit we can't serve you anymore beer even though you paid $5.50 per ticket, and the ticket booths refused to refund them! "We can't do that" they said.. Like hell you can't. Luckily I was able to convince a food tent to give me some schnitzel and a pretzel with the beer ticket so it wasn't a complete loss, but for an event that prides itself in being the largest Oktoberfest outside of Munich, shutting down at 12 fucking 45 and saying tough shit to paying attendees was ridiculous, least of all on student night.

/rage

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:05 PM

Ya that was my first Oktoberfest experience and I don't think I'll be going again. Went to the Aud on Friday and it was just a stupid sponsor-fest. Ridiculous lines, awful beer, and we ended up getting in a fight with some tools who were harassing my buddy's girlfriend and left like 2 hours early.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Ya that was my first Oktoberfest experience and I don't think I'll be going again. Went to the Aud on Friday and it was just a stupid sponsor-fest. Ridiculous lines, awful beer, and we ended up getting in a fight with some tools who were harassing my buddy's girlfriend and left like 2 hours early.
I've been to the Rec Centre event every year with my faculty and it was a great time, this year we wanted to try something different because it was my gf's first time and we wanted to showcase it...

(insert price is right wrong music)

Next year we'll go to Queensmount or downtown somewhere.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:18 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
I went to the one at the Aud. Or at least I thought it was supposed to be. It was actually in the much smaller Kiwanis arena attached to it. Low ceiling, low lighting, hot and stuffy inside. The ticket lines were incredibly long, slow and inefficient (3 people behind the kiosk, but only doing on person at a time, the fuck??). The draught beer was Canadian and Coors Light (boooo) but I got some Creemore with the premium tickets so that was good.
Man that sucks! I haven't been there in about 15+ years so it is a real downer to hear about the Molson/Coors crap being pushed. Why don't they just call it cheap beerfest??

BTW, not trying to give them an out, however they don't claim to be the biggest O-fest outside of Germany (Since 1969, Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest has developed its own traditions, becoming the largest Bavarian festival in North America with the greatest Thanksgiving Day Parade in Canada.) as the Oktoberfest in Blumeneau Brazil is larger.

Something about hot Brazilans in dirndls ......

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:35 PM

Huh, TIL. It used to be the largest outside of Munich.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:46 PM
Mooderator

My stomach wants some of that Farmery shit.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My stomach wants some of that Farmery shit.
When Die Hard Manitobans need a real premium lager brew to turn to they reach for a Farmery....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 9:55 PM

Had a Coup de grisou yesterday. Really, really good stuff. Please excuse the instagram-y picture

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 3:55 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Busted out some pumpkin ale last night at the halloween party. It's a bit ripe yet but very good. Copes wouldn't even share his pint, haha.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 6:32 AM

Quote:

Yet another reason I don't go to Southern Ontario to party!

Canadian and Coors at Oktoberfest?? What a joke.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:25 PM

I drink almost any beer but strongly prefer craft brew as well.

Wild Rose - I find I drink Velvet Fog and S.O.B. almost exclusively from here. I pick it up at Superstore Liquor for $12 for a six pack. I generally always keep some in the fridge. If I'm out and Wild Rose is on tap, I almost always buy local.

Village - I love their Wit and Blonde. I have yet to get the growler as it is actually cheaper to buy the bottles and I'm frugal, but there's something to be said for sharing a giant jug with some friends.

Yukon Brewing - their cranberry ale is excellent - nice full flavour with a touch of tartness. Haven't had a beer from them that I don't enjoy.

Unibroue - I adore all their beers but I have a soft spot for white ales, so I drink the Chambly a lot. Their darker beers are definitely a sipping beer for me, but I'd rather have one bottle of something I enjoy than a six pack of something else.

Creemore Springs - a frequent fall back with their lager at my local pub when I'm there for wings as their beers are limited to almost entirely main stream breweries.

Belgium ales - I love trapiste beers in general. I usually pick up one or two when I'm getting a six pack for an evening - that or I buy something I haven't had before such as a seasonal ale from a local brewery.

Cheap beer - when I know I'm hosting family, who prefer a lack luster beer, or camping, I buy Moosehead or Keiths (Costco frequently has a 15 pack of bottles for $18) or Sleimens (Costco again has a 36 bottle sampler pack for $45). The price is right and it's far better then them supplying Kokanee, or worse, Lucky or Keystone. Though I don't complain about the Kokanee when we're out on the snowmobiles or on the boat fishing; it's refreshing.

For me, the difference in my tastes is the activity we're doing. If I'm going to enjoy one or two beers, it's often micro brewed. If it's a hedonistic weekend that I'll be drinking frequently, I most often go with lighter main stream ales. I feel satiated rather quickly as I age, meaning I get sleepy and would like to go take a nap if I don't keep up the pace.

Last edited by devonb; Oct 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM. Reason: grammar

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada