HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 5:10 PM
recession proof

I don't get the appeal of Five Guys or Burger's Priest: mediocre greasy burgers and fries. Both places also have a dumpy fast food vibe where you feel sorry for the workers. Probably my favourite burgers back in the day (and contributing to my GERD) were those all dressed burgers with poutine and a Pepsi combo in those Greek diners lining McGill and Wellington area of Griffintown (Montreal.) In Toronto I used to like the huge variety of burgers at this place near Queen and Portland - it closed down about a decade ago - anyone remember the name? (And the beet burger at the Beaver in Parkdale was tasty.)

I'll probably make burgers for my birthday - ground turkey, no tomato or onions, gluten free - costs about $15/burger ha.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 1:39 PM
ハルウララ

Went to Jollibee yesterday and it simply crushes every other fried chicken chain. Not even close.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:31 PM
recession proof

^Better than the fried chicken and waffles at the Drake hotel? (I also loved their burger.)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 3:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^Better than the fried chicken and waffles at the Drake hotel? (I also loved their burger.)
Yes, and it's not $30 like it is at the Drake.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:14 PM

So much of Jollibee's menu looked disgusting to me. But fried chicken is fried chicken. I'll have to give that a try. I was going to when they were opening but the lineups were long. Going to have to consider it next time I'm passing by one.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:40 PM

I've tried a few things on the menu at Jollibee and I'd say that the chicken is my favourite. But I wouldn't rate it any higher than other similar places like Popeyes, KFC, etc. The other stuff like burgers and spaghetti were OK but not really to my taste.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:48 PM

I didn’t think the fried chicken at Jollibee was anything special, but the sweet spaghetti grew on me. It felt wrong at first, but I eventually ended up liking it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 12:50 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Jollibees is absolutely foul. I had it in Kuala Lumpur, and it was the worst meal I had on that trip by a country mile. I didn't eat the friend chicken though. Maybe that's their one good food item.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I don't get the appeal of Five Guys or Burger's Priest: mediocre greasy burgers and fries.....
Ever had the Cajun fries at Five Guys?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:15 PM
sick transit, gloria

I haven't tried Jollibee as I have a pretty strong "no lines" policy which I certainly wouldn't break for fast food! It definitely seems popular / has strong nostalgic ties for people.

I thought Five Guys was fine but overpriced for what it was. Burgers Priest was fantastic when it was a single location in Toronto's East End but expansion has diluted the quality. There are better burger joints in the city that do a fast food style burger and smash burgers seem to be what's mostly popular now. Extra Burger and Aunty Lucy's come to mind. I actually had the Drake Burger the other night as my wife had a work thing there all last week and expensed takeout - it was an excellent "thick" style medium-rare burger - that type hits the spot once in a while.

The best fried chicken sandwich in the city (IMO) is the Jalapeno and honey sandwich from PG Cluck's on College. You can also order directly from Birreria Volo next door if you want excellent but very expensive beer with your meal.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Jollibees is absolutely foul. I had it in Kuala Lumpur, and it was the worst meal I had on that trip by a country mile. I didn't eat the friend chicken though. Maybe that's their one good food item.
The fried chicken is the thing to get! The spaghetti and mango pies are also delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I haven't tried Jollibee as I have a pretty strong "no lines" policy which I certainly wouldn't break for fast food! It definitely seems popular / has strong nostalgic ties for people.
If you want to see your city's entire Filipino diaspora just hang around a Jollibees. That's where they all go!

Quote:
I thought Five Guys was fine but overpriced for what it was.
Five Guys is really, really good but indeed overpriced.

Quote:
The best fried chicken sandwich in the city (IMO) is the Jalapeno and honey sandwich from PG Cluck's on College.
That's interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Supposedly Cluck Clucks is really good, too, but I haven't tried. There's one downtown but the Scarborough location is the OG, supposedly?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 10:41 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
The best fried chicken sandwich in the city (IMO) is the Jalapeno and honey sandwich from PG Cluck's on College. You can also order directly from Birreria Volo next door if you want excellent but very expensive beer with your meal.
I love Birreria Volo so much for the atmosphere and beer selection, but holy shit is it expensive. And to make matters worse, there's only counter service and yet when you pay the default tip options on the machine are 18-20-25. Like why the fuck would I tip 25% for a $10 beer when I had to line up at the bar for it like I'm in some fast food restaurant?

It's a place I love to visit but it also makes me happy I live in Montreal where you at least get table service in a bar.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Five Guy's is probably my favorite of them all.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carl's Jr yet, although I think they're more a American and Western Canadian thing.

Carl's Jr has some of the best chicken burgers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I love Birreria Volo so much for the atmosphere and beer selection, but holy shit is it expensive. And to make matters worse, there's only counter service and yet when you pay the default tip options on the machine are 18-20-25. Like why the fuck would I tip 25% for a $10 beer when I had to line up at the bar for it like I'm in some fast food restaurant?

It's a place I love to visit but it also makes me happy I live in Montreal where you at least get table service in a bar.
The original Bar Volo has reopened a block away from its former location in the Yonge/Wellesley area. It offers table service and has a nicer atmosphere than Birreria IMO. Definitely worth checking out the next time you're in town if you're not too turned off by the prices.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 11:39 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

I think that counter service was more of an aesthetic choice by the owners (sons of the original volo owner Ralph) who feel that a “bar” aught to more than a Toronto thing. I don’t necessarily disagree, but it doesn’t really fit with the vibe/price point of the place. They don’t even have bar seating which in my mind kinda defeats the purpose!

I rarely go to birreria myself unless there’s a big release as I feel like it’s just a bit too expensive, and despite their legitimate contributions to Toronto’s craft beer scene the owners are a bit… much. As wg said the reopened bar volo is more laid back in this respect. While not quite at the same caliber in terms of bottle selections, the tap list at Bar Hop is up there if not better - the King St location is my preferred one. My absolute favourite bar in city - Thirsty and Miserable - is unfortunately closing at the end of December, but offers great beer at a great price point. It is very much a divey beer bar though so cash and counter service only - no mixed drinks! I only sit at the bar if I can help it so works for me.

Beyond that most local places now have a good enough craft beer selection I don’t feel as much of an urge to go far afield to try new things. Unless I’m with more than 2 or 3 other people we usually sit at the bar, but most places do table service.

EDIT: also worth noting that while volo prices are generally very high the price point for Ontario breweries is a bit better. At this point I rarely see the point in paying 1.5x as much for an American hype beer when the local stuff is now just as good.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 12:34 AM
recession proof

I had possibly my worst chain burger at Carl's Jr a few years ago when they had a location in Uptown Waterloo: a greasy, spongy mess with gross "American" cheese. Way back in my early Junction days (2007) I enjoyed Bronto Burger and Jumbo Burger. Cajun fries sound delish ... but hellish if you've got severe gastroesophageal reflux disease: anything fried or spicy is a big Nope.

I haven't been to Popeyes since I would eat at the original Toronto location near Eglinton and Dufferin c. summer 2000.

I've decided to make turkey burgers for Thanksgiving this year: cranberry jelly, mayo, stuffing, ground turkey patties, collard greens on gluten free buns.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 7:29 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
I thought Five Guys was fine but overpriced for what it was. Burgers Priest was fantastic when it was a single location in Toronto's East End but expansion has diluted the quality. There are better burger joints in the city that do a fast food style burger and smash burgers seem to be what's mostly popular now. Extra Burger and Aunty Lucy's come to mind. I actually had the Drake Burger the other night as my wife had a work thing there all last week and expensed takeout - it was an excellent "thick" style medium-rare burger - that type hits the spot once in a while.

Burger's Priest has gone the route that all of the successful restaurant-turned-local chains seem to: quality suffer as they expand locations. Same story as La Carnita, Kinton Ramen, etc. That, and I think new places also just come around and set an even higher bar.

Extra Burger is good, still haven't tried Aunty Lucy's though. My go-to's are Harry's, or Happy Burger for greasy, fast-food style burgers (and waffle fries). The smash burger on the Gladstone's new menu is really good too, though obviously at a much higher price point than others.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Burger's Priest has gone the route that all of the successful restaurant-turned-local chains seem to: quality suffer as they expand locations. Same story as La Carnita, Kinton Ramen, etc. That, and I think new places also just come around and set an even higher bar.

Extra Burger is good, still haven't tried Aunty Lucy's though. My go-to's are Harry's, or Happy Burger for greasy, fast-food style burgers (and waffle fries). The smash burger on the Gladstone's new menu is really good too, though obviously at a much higher price point than others.
Burger's Priest is owned by Recipe Unlimited who owns Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, East Side Mario's, Montana's and more. Enough said lol.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Burger's Priest is owned by Recipe Unlimited who owns Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, East Side Mario's, Montana's and more. Enough said lol.

Interesting. Apparently it was purchased by Recipe Unlimited just a few months ago - before that it was still owned by the original owner. I'd imagine the quality is really going to plummet now though!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:54 PM

All this discussion has me wondering when I last ate at a chain restaurant. I'm thinking it must be at least five years, but I'm not sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada