HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
It's really all perspective. If you're from Toronto, Halifax is small. If you're from Atlantic Canada, it's quite large.

Regardless of perspective, I think Halifax (and Victoria, and St. John's) occupies a big enough place in the Canadian psyche and is substantive enough of a city to not be considered "small" in the sense that this thread is probably going for.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:17 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Charlottetown and Fredericton definitely deserve to be on here, though they kind of occupy that awkward space between being a small city and a large town (and for whatever reason, don't seem to have too many peers of their size in Canada).

Now as for some urban towns - Brockville, ON (pop. 22,000) has probably the most muscular downtown of a city that size I've seen in this country. The surrounding housing meanwhile is typical old school, small town Ontario. So, urban, but not too dense.

Stratford, ON (pop. 30,000) meanwhile has a really extensive downtown the size of cities many times its size (like say, Guelph or St. Catherine's), albeit not quite as grand as Brockville's.

Nelson, BC (pop. 10,000) is pretty low-slung aside aside from a few standout landmark buildings, but is also very extensive and impressively vibrant.

Lunenburg, NS (pop. 2,000) doesn't quite have the commercial core of those larger towns, but being an old east coast town it has a nice tightly packed residential fabric.

After awhile, all these towns (at least in Ontario) start to kind of look the same and all have more or less the same form with little appreciable difference in urbanity, but some standouts would nonetheless include the likes of:

Cobourg (18,000)

Port Hope (16,000)

Carleton Place (10,000)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great post. I'd add Paris, ON, as well. I'm in love with that place.

DSC_2705 by Do Anh Vu, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 3, 2016 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:30 PM
Closed account

I've always felt Owen Sound has a pretty decent downtown for a city its size as well. Goderich has a lovely downtown, though it's not nearly the same since the tornado.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Woody Point has a little main strip. This picture show quite literally all of it, but it's not bad for a village of 300 people.

Great Northern Peninsula by R C, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:43 PM

^ Reminds me a bit of Riverport, NS but more colourful. Love the mountain backdrop.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Great post. I'd add Paris, ON, as well. I'm in love with that place.

DSC_2705 by Do Anh Vu, on Flickr
Paris Ontario is very not urban. It is Ontario small town, although I don't think of it as having typical suburban sprawl, as a place like Stratford does.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:56 PM

This thread is morphing into the smaller cities/towns with good cores thread, which I don't think is the same as "most urban". What are the urban amenities and how does the core relate to the suburbs?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That street is beautiful and urban enough to me. I'm sure the experience of it is different - you can't even walk on the pretty side. But I love it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
This thread is morphing into the smaller cities/towns with good cores thread, which I don't think is the same as "most urban". What are the urban amenities and how does the core relate to the suburbs?
True, but a good core is part of that objective measure of urbanity, such as how the core relates to the suburbs. It's probably the single most important part, really, if we're trying to be objective.

Once you get into amenities and atmosphere, it becomes so subjective. I, for example, love a dingy, artsy feel in a city with a strong culture. I absolutely hate setbacks. If you have a front lawn, you might as well be camping, to me. That eliminates some perfectly urban cities from feeling truly urban to me, or offering the amenities I look for. The Ship Inn is far more important to me than Mile One Centre.

A guy from Liverpool replied to one of my picture threads and described St. John's as "such a distinctive and singular culture - and it does feel quite British in certain respects - usually the worst ones...". That's just exactly it, exactly what I want to spend my life in. So Charlottetown just isn't what I want, whereas Portland, Maine, is a bit closer.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:26 PM

Small town Ontario is where it's at. I can't even think of my favourite. Maybe Paris. I love the rowhouses nestled against the Grand River and its little terraces with restaurant patios. Bliss.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Small town Ontario is where it's at. I can't even think of my favourite. Maybe Paris. I love the rowhouses nestled against the Grand River and its little terraces with restaurant patios. Bliss.
As far as I know, those are private balconies and only one coffee shop opens out onto the river. There also used to be a shop that sold nice cotton lingerie. Very urban indeed.....

If backing onto the Grand River is your thing, I'd take Elora over Paris any day. Probably wins on the "urban-meter" as well.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Regardless of perspective, I think Halifax (and Victoria, and St. John's) occupies a big enough place in the Canadian psyche and is substantive enough of a city to not be considered "small" in the sense that this thread is probably going for.
I made the mistake of letting people interpret it as they wished, but you're bang-on. Halifax was definitely not the type of place I was thinking of.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:52 AM

Quote:
As far as I know, those are private balconies and only one coffee shop opens out onto the river. There also used to be a shop that sold nice cotton lingerie. Very urban indeed.....

If backing onto the Grand River is your thing, I'd take Elora over Paris any day. Probably wins on the "urban-meter" as well.
Many have restaurant patios now.

Paris is also set in a river valley with wooded slopes behind it.. It's scenic.. It's the whole package. Can't beat Paris.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Isn' t it kind of a depressed town in a rust belt fashion?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:59 AM
Closed account

I'd agree with kwoldtimer here. While there are fewer buildings built right up to the river like in Paris, the ones in Elora are more picturesque. It's downtown also seems bigger and more vibrant to me, but that might simply just be that Elora is more touristy than Paris.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Isn' t it kind of a depressed town in a rust belt fashion?
It's a scenic place, but that's more or less how it comes across, from what I've seen of it. I believe it is growing, given its proximity to Cambridge, Brantford, Hamilton, etc, but I couldn't say what its present economy is based on. To note, I haven't been there for five years, so maybe it has more to offer than what I remember.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 4:51 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

I'd say a good core does more for urbanity than a lack of suburban sprawl does - especially considering the latter (in small town Canada) is usually a product of economic/demographic stagnation and the resultant decay (both physical and in amenities), which also takes away from any substantive sense of urbanity that the town might have otherwise had.

Towns like Stratford have their share of suburban sprawl, but their cores have prospered in parallel. Whatever's happening on the periphery, a good core usually means good urban amenities.

If we're just looking for "least suburban" though, how about Francois, Newfoundland? The entire village is car free!

https://www.morganscloud.com/2012/09...-newfoundland/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 5:55 AM

Quote:

Paris' backing onto the Grand River is perhaps the most scenic (moreso than Elora), but in terms of wider urban appeal, Fergus probably has both beat.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 8:02 AM

Whistler and Moose Jaw.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada