HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:06 AM

Milwaukee is such an enigma to me but everytime I see photos of her I want more and more.

Grays Harbor County:
Aberdeen, WA Montesano, WA Hoquiam, WA

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:24 PM

Milwaukee has the dance floor... I am liking the thread..

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

love it. the weather, the subject matter, the atmosphere, it's all working together in these fantastic shots. i love milwaukee dearly, but i'm not extremely familiar with the city outside of the central area/east side, so these pics are a real treat.

as for the milwaukee/chicago side discussion, i've often said that the two cities really are siblings that just hapened to exhibit very different growth patterns. had the railroads not convereged on the windy city and blown it up to be the central metropolis of the interior of the continent, chicago would be a very, very similar city to milwaukee today. the great chicago fire also did change things a little bit for chicago in terms of built environmant, as more of chicago's residential vernacular is brick as opposed to wood frame as a result of the stringent fire codes enacted after the city burned to the ground in 1871. (i'm not saying that chicago is all brick and that milwaukee is all wood frame, as both cities have lots of both construction types, but proportionally, chicago's housing is more typically masonry)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 8:01 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Well done!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the great chicago fire also did change things a little bit for chicago in terms of built environmant, as more of chicago's residential vernacular is brick as opposed to wood frame as a result of the stringent fire codes enacted after the city burned to the ground in 1871. (i'm not saying that chicago is all brick and that milwaukee is all wood frame, as both cities have lots of both construction types, but proportionally, chicago's housing is more typically masonry)
No, that's entirely accurate. Milwaukee is a huge fan of wood frame construction. One only needs to drive up I-94 between the airport and downtown to see that. Row after row of wood-frame worker's houses packed tightly together line most streets in Milwaukee. Brick is pretty rare up there outside of the central area.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 2:45 AM
Future God

I just happened to be listening to "Rabbit in Your Headlights" by UNKLE while going through this thread and it fit perfectly. Awesome set of photos.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:42 PM
Red October standing by

awesome.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
No, that's entirely accurate. Milwaukee is a huge fan of wood frame construction. One only needs to drive up I-94 between the airport and downtown to see that. Row after row of wood-frame worker's houses packed tightly together line most streets in Milwaukee. Brick is pretty rare up there outside of the central area.
yeah, milwaukee definitely has more wood frame vernacular housing than chicago, making it more similar to other grea lakes cities like detroit and buffalo, but i just wanted to make it clear that you can also find some wood frame in chicago, just as you can find some brick in milwaukee.

even with the differences in the predominate vernacular housing styles and of course the drastically different scales, milwaukee and chicago still feel very much like siblings to me. maybe it's more the similarities in the layouts and overall urban patterns as opposed to the specific architectures of the two cities.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:09 PM

Nice pictures. It looks like an old-school industrial/residential area.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:18 PM

And even in some of the seemingly empty areas of town no shortage of Dish network receivers.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 2:50 AM
registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
And even in some of the seemingly empty areas of town no shortage of Dish network receivers.
this neighborhood is very densely populated at 14,460 people per square mile. link

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 11:44 PM

These photos remind me

This reminds me of Superior, WI on a much larger scale, but same buildings, same types of streetscapes, same kinds of storefronts...it's very cool.

I'd love to hang out in the 'bigger' Superior at the other end of Wisconsin =)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 12:39 AM
reticulating splines

Pours a nice amber color, light in mouthfeel, not too watery, tastes of roasted malt with a faint bitter hop finish...

Something rusty this way comes. Great show.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 12:44 AM
designer&stuff

Thank you for the photos, Thundertub. An interesting juxtaposition with the ornate Catholic church facing a wonderful urban freeway:

“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:40 PM

This thread has got to be one of the best Milwaukee threads on SSP.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos