HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:56 AM

Parc René-Lesvesque in Lachine. 15-20 minute bike ride from old Montreal.
It's got the classic Montreal randomness to it; peninsular park filled with (hundreds of?) trippy art installations and sculptures.

Includes an arboretum !

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:45 PM

Going through Ontario a couple months ago I exited the 401 in the middle of GTA suburbia and happened to find an authentic, early 1800s Federal-style house superbly restored in the middle of sprawly malls and parkings. (It housed some professional offices.)

The contrast was striking. A lot moreso in person than in the following Google Street View...

I managed to find it again after looking for it a bit:

https://maps.google.ca/?hl=fr&ll=43....87.83,,0,-8.75

A truly hidden gem right in the middle of the sprawliest shopping mall sprawl out there...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:35 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Going through Ontario a couple months ago I exited the 401 in the middle of GTA suburbia and happened to find an authentic, early 1800s Federal-style house superbly restored in the middle of sprawly malls and parkings. (It housed some professional offices.)

The contrast was striking. A lot moreso in person than in the following Google Street View...

I managed to find it again after looking for it a bit:

https://maps.google.ca/?hl=fr&ll=43....87.83,,0,-8.75

A truly hidden gem right in the middle of the sprawliest shopping mall sprawl out there...

There are many remnants of 19th century settlements scattered about in the GTA - whether they be village centres, established street grids, or just old farmhouses lost in subdivisions - but I've never seen quite that dramatic a contrast as you've found there.

On a side note, that type of built form as well as the style of architecture that tends to exist within it is truly disgusting. Is there anyone who actually finds that appealing?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:01 AM

Not a lot of people know about this in my city, But there is a small place behind Parkwood Hospital called the Western Counties Pavillions. It was the former WW2 hospital. It consisted of 10-14 buildings (pavillions). Today, only 4 remain. It's a pretty neat place to explore around.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
There are many remnants of 19th century settlements scattered about in the GTA - whether they be village centres, established street grids, or just old farmhouses lost in subdivisions - but I've never seen quite that dramatic a contrast as you've found there.

On a side note, that type of built form as well as the style of architecture that tends to exist within it is truly disgusting. Is there anyone who actually finds that appealing?
The best of this type of thing is in Markham, where they purpose built a subdivision for developers to move old farmhomes to when they build their subdivision. Its essentially a modern subdivision of 100+ year old farmhomes.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.89338...L_Nw!2e0?hl=fr

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:06 AM
Majestic

Some hidden gems from Alberta...

Today the Town of Cardston, which is about 25km north of the Alberta-Montana border, voted to continue it's prohibition on alcohol. The town of 3,580 was founded in 1887 by American settlers from Utah, and about 80% of the population is Mormon.

This is the temple, which was dedicated in 1923 and is one of the biggest landmarks in southern Alberta.

Cardston Temple by garmil, on Flickr

St. Vladimir's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church used to stand in Vegreville, a predominantly Ukrainian town in central Alberta. It was built in 1934 and was later moved to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village, which is located on the Yellowhead just east of Elk Island National Park. St. Vlad's is just one example of the dozens of similar churches spread across Alberta.

St. Vladimir's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church 1 by OldDogNewTrick, on Flickr

Grain elevators were once icons and symbols of the prairies. The first one in Alberta was completed in 1895 and the last in 1985. At their peak, there were 1,781 total elevators in the province. As of 2012, there are only 130 grain elevators left on the railways (and a few more that have been moved either to museums or fields).

This is the Red Lady of Esther, a ghost town about 200km north of Medicine Hat:

Grain elevator by Dave_mca, on Flickr

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:15 AM

The Cardston vote made the CBC news in Quebec today... I happened to be on the road during the hourly news at one point today, so I heard about it.

Thanks for the pics. I love grain elevators! (As you might have guessed from the OP...?)

That church is nice as well.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:27 AM

To me there is no more beautiful a site than a small prairie town on the railway, where the big landmarks are the elevator and the church.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
To me there is no more beautiful a site than a small prairie town on the railway, where the big landmarks are the elevator and the church.
I agree it's a beautiful sight (I suppose you could also have truly meant to say a beautiful site because it is that as well) but IMO in summer only, with the clear blue skies, sun, and tall yellow grass.

In winter, it would be a much less appealing one. Just my opinion, obviously.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

72 princess 3rd floor an amazing space of dance hall even has recording studios i work events here every so often helped record a couple albums over the winter in the space supper amazing as its evolving into a media arts production space

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:56 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

I only recently "discovered" UofT's Scarborough campus, but it has an amazing collection of brutalist architecture. I always just kind of assumed it was going to be your run-of-the-mill utilitarian modernism, but some of these things would be right at home in a Soviet capital.

Scarborough College, Toronto Canada
by Iqbal Aalam, on Flickr

Scarborough College, Toronto, Canada

Scarborough College, Toronto, Canada

Scarborough College, Toronto. Canada

Scarborough College, Toronto. Canada

Andrews backside
by apta_2050, on Flickr

Scarborough College
by timtom.ch, on Flickr

by Ben­, on Flickr

The Meeting Place
by hey mr. eric, on Flickr

Some of the newer buildings aren't bad either.

Shiny
by Loozrboy, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I only recently "discovered" UofT's Scarborough campus, but it has an amazing collection of brutalist architecture. I always just kind of assumed it was going to be your run-of-the-mill utilitarian modernism, but some of these things would be right at home in a Soviet capital.

My God! When are the troops landing at Normandy?? Amazing!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:18 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada