HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:11 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in London - exploring so many changes

I used to be a frequent visitor to London but with flights directly into the continent getting cheaper, I haven't returned for a while. Looking back at my website, most of the content is quite old ... 2004, 2009. So it was time for an update.

1. Canary Wharf is reeling from Brexit. What I liked about this part of town is the plentiful residential buildings around the docks so it is possible to rent a place near work. There are plenty of jogging paths and the area looked clean and tidy.

2. Not long ago, HSBC thought of moving back to its roots. They decided not to, and now they have to deal with Brexit. Good luck to them. Their major revenue driver is not the UK anymore.

6. The Thames Path is a wonderful walking trail that extends almost 300km, with sections on both banks of the river through London. With beautiful blue skies, I decided to walk the stretch between Canary Wharf and Tower Bridge. I have never tried this hike before but only did a river cruise way back, but with so many new buildings coming up in the City, I had great expectations.

10. Many residentials now line the riverfront. The port is long gone from this part of London. The heights are not too overwhelming around here. I wonder when will the tall skyscrapers arrive?

11. In the distance, change is in the air.

15. The path hugs along the riverfront for the most part, but there are privatized sections where I needed to detour to the street inland to continue. The trail is well sign-posted but surprisingly empty.

23. It was a chilly December morning, and there was a bit of frost on the ground. The temperature wouldn't deter me from exploring under the rare London blue sky.

27. I didn't pass through any dodgy neighbourhoods, namely Limehouse and Wapping, along the way. It looks like the old warehouses have found new uses.

34. I didn't see many buses although I did pass by one train station along the way. I wonder how to people get around? Despite being in between the City and Canary Wharf, is it an easy and short commute?

More coming. I am revamping my London photo gallery with new content. Check it out here : http://www.globalphotos.org/london.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos