HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:20 AM

ALBANY: 50 Shades of Overcast REDUX

Another year, another pair of holiday visits back to my home city and another overload of cloudy shots because that's what Upstate gives you this time of year, and you WILL love it, damn it. You'll only see the slightest hints of sunshine, and in place of that you'll see lots of tans, browns, GRAY, and a little leftover fall foliage. A cornucopia of color it ain't

So this photo thread follows directly in the footsteps of one I made a year ago with the same name, both in tone (bleak! sad!) and in geography (most shots are from Rensselaer, just across the Hudson River from downtown). As I said in the earlier thread, my family all lives on the east side of the river so this angle from Rensselaer is how I grew up viewing Albany, AND my dad worked at the Amtrak station sitting right in the middle of this little city with a funny spelling, so again this is the terrain I know. Plus this is definitely where Albany's skyline looks best from.

AND as I always do, these are posted in chronological order, starting with the Thanksgiving shots. Enjoy!

Hard to not keep taking pics of that behemoth

Serious shades of the Bronx

Time to leave the skyline p0rn behind and go visit... the dead Kmart right by my mom's

"Garden Center"

Speaking of gardens, here's my dad's terrain

And a quick interlude 20 miles south to my hometown in the Hudson River Valley

Catskill Mountains off in the distance

And now it's Christmas break back in the city

This is an atypical sighting: these yards are strictly Amtrak--no freight--so to see hopper cars here is odd. But what they're doing is bringing in ballast so the station can add a new track and increase capacity. Albany: 61st largest metro, 9th busiest Amtrak station

Quick trip downtown

And that's it, hope you liked and if you did may I once again suggest you check out last year's thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220351

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos