Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:40 PM

back and forth on CITC design

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I like the design of Wilshire Grand's tower, but I think the spire is too subdued. Even as skinny as the spire is, it should rise even higher to balance the building, similar to the Bank of America building in NY. Then again, I wouldn't want the Wilshire to top over CITC.
We should also factor in that the CITC design is driven very much by the need to create a vertical "cyber factory", i.e., the need to stack and link interior space for technical collaboration as well as topping if off with a 13 story hotel. Comparing it to other traditional office buildings is not completely straight forward. In CITC's case "form follows function" might be more instrumental in shaping the buildings form.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:44 AM
Mr. Technology

The design of 425 Park Ave and Comcast Innovation & Technology Center were both designed by Lord Norman Foster!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
We should also factor in that the CITC design is driven very much by the need to create a vertical "cyber factory", i.e., the need to stack and link interior space for technical collaboration as well as topping if off with a 13 story hotel. Comparing it to other traditional office buildings is not completely straight forward. In CITC's case "form follows function" might be more instrumental in shaping the buildings form.
Yeah. I totally get that. I was speaking more about what the Wilshire Grand could be. Los Angeles just isn't big on edgy or experimental architecture, at least not with their skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
The design of 425 Park Ave and Comcast Innovation & Technology Center were both designed by Lord Norman Foster!
If they are both just renderings I don't think it should cheapen to CITC just cause he used a similar style in designing another tower. Comcast can't ask him to change his style altogether cause they commission a tower.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
425 Park is a slick looking building that is also very proportionate. Foster did a nice job on that tower. I'm hoping the actual Comcast Tech Center turns out better than the renderings.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 10:47 AM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Comcast expects to break ground within a month. "You'll start to see activity," Buchholz confirmed. Excavators will dig a 30-foot-deep hole for the tower's foundation, removing 85,000 cubic yards of dirt and asphalt - the equivalent of 4,000 dump trucks.

There won't be any work above the street level for about a year. The project has gone "amazingly well," said Gattuso, regional director and senior vice president for Liberty Property Trust, "even smoother than the first project."
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines..._to_small.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Translation: Finally, those Skyscraper Page a**holes will stop thinking every delivery truck that pulls up to the site is the start of construction.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Translation: Finally, those Skyscraper Page a**holes will stop thinking every delivery truck that pulls up to the site is the start of construction.
Exactly!

Well, at least they know how to chill us out: give us some info!

Of course, some of us had previously pointed out that there would need to be a significant amount of digging done before we'd see any progress above ground.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:38 PM

Can't wait! Exciting!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 12:02 AM

Yes, I find this modern incarnation of the factory loft executed vertically in glass and steel extremely interesting. Can't wait to see this one start to go up.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 2:22 PM
Mr. Technology

Just a few years and you'll find a transformed skyline!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Just a few years and you'll find a transformed skyline!
But... but I want it now dammit!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 3:14 PM
Mr. Technology

It's only one tower!
I wish Philadelphia had a quarter of the activity you find in Manhattan, then we'd have much more to talk about.

But this is a good tower that will most likely have gold standards in energy efficiency with renewable sources like it's big brother.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 10:40 PM

I hope I can visit the Restaurant, and stay in the Hotel on the top floors of this building when it's complete....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 10:49 PM

Comcast Tower vs CITC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I hope I can visit the Restaurant, and stay in the Hotel on the top floors of this building when it's complete....
When they were building the Comcast Tower they dug a pit 45 feet deep and from the floor of that pit they sunk caissons down 15 more feet to bedrock and then a few more feet into the bedrock. The article in the Inquire mentioned the pit for CITC would be 30 feet. So the bedrock might be less than 60 feet here. One of the reasons they do core samples . If someone has more info on this I would like to know.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 1:38 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Quote:
It's only one tower!
I wish Philadelphia had a quarter of the activity you find in Manhattan, then we'd have much more to talk about.

But this is a good tower that will most likely have gold standards in energy efficiency with renewable sources like it's big brother.
Dude shut up

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 5:26 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
When they were building the Comcast Tower they dug a pit 45 feet deep and from the floor of that pit they sunk caissons down 15 more feet to bedrock and then a few more feet into the bedrock. The article in the Inquire mentioned the pit for CITC would be 30 feet. So the bedrock might be less than 60 feet here. One of the reasons they do core samples . If someone has more info on this I would like to know.
That's it? Are they going to be any subterranean components, parking, mechanical, subway connections, etc? 30 ft + 15 ft for caissons is nothing! Maybe the tower will go vertical in a short period of time. The Salesforce Tower here is digging around 60 ft (for 3 parking levels) and the caissons average 280 additional ft to reach bedrock.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 5:52 PM

The digging part always seems to be the longest part, and then the first 4 floors, depending on the design.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
That's it? Are they going to be any subterranean components, parking, mechanical, subway connections, etc? 30 ft + 15 ft for caissons is nothing! Maybe the tower will go vertical in a short period of time. The Salesforce Tower here is digging around 60 ft (for 3 parking levels) and the caissons average 280 additional ft to reach bedrock.
Its going to have min. underground parking. There will indeed be a connection to Suburban station which host both Subway and Regional Rail.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 6:36 PM
Realtor

I don't want to get anyone too excited but I have it on fairly good authority that real site prep work will start tomorrow and the formal ground breaking ceremony will be the first or 2nd week in July.

We'll know tomorrow if I can trust this source or not so fingers crossed!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture