HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:22 AM

As for those classifications I made, they were based on my best knowledge of each region, and based on the new boundaries (not current ridings). In many cases, they could be classified in multiple classifications and I had a tough call. Others were fairly easy to calculate.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
That is very surprising. I think east end Montreal (which is largely separatist and pure laine) may skew the numbers over the rest of the area which is largely cosmopolitan...
I seriously doubt that is the reason. East end Montreal is only a portion of the entire metro, plus people like this also exist elsewhere in Quebec and in other parts of Canada (though not on the separatism issue, but on the ''fear of the unknown" issue they certainly do).

I believe a lot of ''regions'' in Canada east of Quebec City are a bit brow-beaten and desperate for new blood.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 7:42 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
That is very surprising. I think east end Montreal (which is largely separatist and pure laine) may skew the numbers over the rest of the area which is largely cosmopolitan...
You'd be surprised at how cosmopolitan the east end, the north shore and the south shore are... Except it's not the "cosmopolitan" you're likely familiar with. Lots of people from the Maghreb, Haiti, France, French-speaking Africa, etc...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 6:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I've heard a lot of people complaining that everybody else in NS is racist and anti-immigration, but few if any directly racist or anti-immigration comments. I've heard much, much worse stuff in BC and Alberta for whatever reason.
The Valley and New Glasgow in particular are, at least historically, very racist areas. This(these) is the only area(s) where Jim Crow laws were enacted in Canadian history.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 6:08 PM
video et taceo

the historically black area of stellarton, adjacent to new glasgow, has a particularly unpleasant name.

my mother grew up in new glasgow and tells me that things like movie theatres were segregated well into the 1960s.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I'd probably make a few changes to the Edmonton area designations:
  • I'd move Edmonton Griesbach from Boom Towns to Millitary Bastions
  • I'd change Edmonton Mill Woods from Monied Burbs to Immigration Nation
  • I'd I'd move Edmonton Strathcona from Industrial Metropolis to Campus and Careers
  • I'd move Sherwood Park--Fort Saskatchewan fro Monied Burbs to Industrial Metropolis
  • I'd move Edmonton--Westaskiwin from Boom Towns to Tractor Country
Sherwood Park is definitely a monied burb though.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:44 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This article about supposed diverging values in Quebec and other provinces is a few months old and may already have been posted but I thought it was pretty interesting and relevant to this thread: http://www.lactualite.com/actualites...ye-bye-canada/

I remain skeptical about the true implications of polling differences in questions about how closely people identify with their country, province, city, etc., but many of the observations seem correct to me and I think some of the recommendations will eventually be necessary if the country is to continue to function reasonably well.

It bothers me that there's little sense of connectedness in the media between Quebec and other parts of Canada. The 2012 student protests mentioned in the article are a prime example of this. The English Canadian news coverage reminded me of bad American news coverage of foreign events; lots of judgement and close to zero insightful information.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Valley and New Glasgow in particular are, at least historically, very racist areas. This(these) is the only area(s) where Jim Crow laws were enacted in Canadian history.
Most of Canada didn't really have black people until immigration rules were changed in the 1970's. Segregation in the 1960's was unfortunate but that was 50 years ago and it was completely standard in the US; that change happened because of the Civil Rights movement.

I have no trouble believing that black people in New Glasgow had a hard time in 1960. I don't think they could have escaped discrimination by moving to Quispamsis or Lethbridge though. All of Canada was racist back then by today's standards.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:49 PM

In 1966, Canada was 97% white, 2% aboriginal, and 1% everything else. We haven't had the same racial problems as the Americans because we haven't really had a multiracial history!

Though the UK is 95% white even today, yet they're full of racists who think the Blacks and the Muslims are conquering their country

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 11:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are good stories from everywhere as well. This black American man's entire life was changed by how well he was treated here during WWII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanier_W._Phillips

There's also the public/private divide. Today, you'd be buried alive with scorn from all within earshot for saying something racist or treating someone from a visible minority differently. But you can still hear very racist things around the kitchen counter.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:35 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Though the UK is 95% white even today, yet they're full of racists who think the Blacks and the Muslims are conquering their country

It's 87% white, about where Canada was in the early 90s.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This article about supposed diverging values in Quebec and other provinces is a few months old and may already have been posted but I thought it was pretty interesting and relevant to this thread: http://www.lactualite.com/actualites...ye-bye-canada/

I remain skeptical about the true implications of polling differences in questions about how closely people identify with their country, province, city, etc., but many of the observations seem correct to me and I think some of the recommendations will eventually be necessary if the country is to continue to function reasonably well.

It bothers me that there's little sense of connectedness in the media between Quebec and other parts of Canada. The 2012 student protests mentioned in the article are a prime example of this. The English Canadian news coverage reminded me of bad American news coverage of foreign events; lots of judgement and close to zero insightful information.
Excellent analysis by Valpy. I read it when it was first published.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Excellent analysis by Valpy. I read it when it was first published.
So, one region of the country badly misunderstands another region of the country. Gee, who knew?

BTW this is not a one-way street. The Toronto based media badly misreads most of the country outside of the Golden Horseshoe.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:07 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So, one region of the country badly misunderstands another region of the country. Gee, who knew?

BTW this is not a one-way street. The Toronto based media badly misreads most of the country outside of the Golden Horseshoe.
We (or at least I and a few others) know this exists but Mr. Valpy is exposing a reality that is often denied for half-baked reasons of national unity or something of that nature I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Where did you get that stat from??? It sure doesn't match my own observations in London and I am sure it's became even less white with the passage of years.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Presumably London would be the least white part of the country? Except places that are famous for it, like Luton - sort of like the UK's Dearborn.

I guarantee if you came to St. John's and visited nowhere else in NL, and spent most of your time in Rabbittown, you'd think the city would have to be approaching 20% visible minority. But we're nowhere close.

Not sure what the actual stats for the UK are, of course, but it's possible for it to be far removed from what they are in London.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

CRA is releasing a poll of Atlantic Canadians views on abortion in 15 minutes.

I suspect it's going to be NS with the most liberal views. I wouldn't be surprised with either of the rest of us being the most conservative. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a significant percentage difference between any two of the four.

Edit: Nevermind. They meant 11 Atlantic. Still 30 mins away.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 8, 2015 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
CRA is releasing a poll of Atlantic Canadians views on abortion in 15 minutes.

I suspect it's going to be NS with the most liberal views. I wouldn't be surprised with either of the rest of us being the most conservative. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a significant percentage difference between any two of the four.

Edit: Nevermind. They meant 11 Atlantic. Still 30 mins away.
Not sure how it will show up by province but if they split it up regionally the most conservative part of Atlantic Canada would likely be the anglo parts of central and southwestern New Brunswick.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They almost always do it by province so I'm curious to see. Everyone I've asked thinks it'll be PEI or us as most conservative in this regard. But NB is pretty conservative too. We have Atlantic Canada's only private abortion clinic in St. John's. NB all but made them illegal last year and their one closed as a result.

They get a lot of women from the Maritimes who work in healthcare and don't want an abortion at a hospital there in the records their coworkers can easily, if illegally, access.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Here it is.

Abortions should be available to any woman who wants one in the first three months of pregnancy

PEI: 53%
NS: 52%
NB: 48%
NL: 47%

Only in limited circumstances such as incest or rape

NL: 32%
NB: 31%
NS: 29%
PEI: 27%

Abortions should be completely illegal

NB/PEI: 13%
NL: 12%
NS: 8%

Www.cra.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada