HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 8:26 AM
Sanguine Misanthropist

Athens, Georgia - January 2011

Following the holidays, I had an opportunity to travel down to Athens,
Georgia for a week and a half to see my brother & his family
(and particularly my nephew, who was born on Christmas Eve 2010).

The Athens metropolitan area is about 190,000 strong (according to what Wikipedia tells me). Other than being the home of UGA
(University of Georgia)and the DAWGS (Georgia Bulldogs), R.E.M., the B-52s, & Kim Basinger, I knew pretty much nothing about the place until I arrived.

Okay, I’m warning you ahead of time that my “tour” kind of sucks…I did precious little research, only ventured into downtown
on one day (January 3 –which was before the university students came back from winter break, so the place likely looks more dead than usual),
and I didn’t get the cute coed “people pics” I wanted, cause I was
feeling anti-social on the day I went touring, and didn’t want to be some creepy f*ckwad that ran up to people and snapped first, and asked questions later.

I planned to go back another day, and take more pictures of the area east of the Oconee river, the UGA campus, and the grand Queen Anne homes,
west of downtown, but the snowpocalpse (more about that below) prevented me from getting out of my brother apartment
complex for three days, so that crap will have to wait until next time.

Most pictures taken on January 3, 2011.

Enjizzle:

The downtown Athens skyline (bow down and suck it, Valdosta!)

A handsome stretch of Broad St.

While Broad St/US78 is the main artery that runs through downtown, West Clayton Street is undoubtedly the primary commercial thoroughfare of the city’s core
– a leafy main street lined with attractive buildings on both sides for several blocks…vaguely reminiscent of the charming (but much larger) main street
in downtown Greenville, SC, an hour and a half to the northeast….

And speaking of Greenville, South Cakalacky!!!! Behold!

I defied death in order to bring you this shot from Paris Mountain, so appreciate the shit out it. Please and thank you.

Okay, now back to Athens:

The greek god Athena, which indirectly inspired the city’s namesake. Athens, Georgia, BTW, is also a sister city of Athens, Greece
(along with Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington D.C.)

Palm Trees!

And here, I got bored:

And here I got bored again:

Coming Soon! (you can see a construction crane for this project in my very first shot in ths thread, featuring the “skyline”)

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh!

Heh heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh!

On January 9-10, Athens received 8.8 inches of snow, an all-time record amount of snowfall over a 24-hour period for the city.
To make matters worse, the snow later changed over to freezing rain and created a nice blanket of ice to coat the snow with.
Since my dumb ass expected it to be somewhat mild in Georgia (like it was for the first few days of the year),
I didn’t bother bringing any heavy winter gear along for the trip.

So enjoy my eyewitness on-the-spot coverage, looking safely through the window from the confines of my brother’s toasty apartment:

Clearly Georgia does not prepare for this type of thing very well because…well, it almost never happens.
They dump a mixture of sand & gravel on the roads to create traction for emergency vehicles, postal trucks & daredevil drivers,
because there are very few large rock salt reserves available.

And supposedly there are only about 16 snow plows in the entire state of Georgia (Atlanta alone has ten of them).
Cleveland by comparison, has over 60 snowplows. But to be fair, Atlanta averages about 2.5 inches of snowfall a year,
whereas Cleveland averages about 80 inches.

Supposedly they get ice storms every other year or so,
but there hasn’t been anything remotely like this in Athens since the blizzard of 1993 (From what people told me).
Since I couldn’t really go anywhere interesting to take pictures of my own,I took pictures of the snowy scenes shown on the local
(Atlanta-based) TV coverage that I was stuck watching instead:

36-year veteran WSB-TV Anchor Monica Kaufman (*cough* Pearson) holding it down in the channel 2 anchor bunker.
Fun facts – The Louisville, KY native was both the first black and first female TV anchor in Atlanta.
And she beat out then-Nashville anchor Oprah Winfrey who also wanted that coveted job back in 1975.

skylineshot!!!

Just how bad is extremely bad? I need specifics.

Woah, let’s not get too specific, now! My tiny brain can’t process all that info all at once.

So much for the postal carrier’s creed “Neither rain, sleet, nor snow…”

11Alive not only has the WTF-ometer (local joke that even most locals won’t get), they have 12 FUCKING plasma TVs informing me all at once!
It’s like they’re broadcasting from Best Buy.
BTW, Brenda Wood (DC native), seen here, is another local TV legend (she’s been an Atlanta TV anchor since 1988),
so she probably deserves some recognition too.

I can’t remember what channel this was…if only there was some sort of subtle reminder on the screen of what station I was watching…hmmm?

One last look at Athens, covered in white death, from above (on my way back to Ohio):

And last, but not least, a photo of my newborn nephew, Kenneth Jayden:

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by Paradox21; Jan 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 8:50 AM

Nice town and wow at the amount of hair on your nephew's head already.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 9:31 AM

Impressed Yet again!

If you go back I can spot out a few places to you. There are some cool old rail trestles intown as well as alot of old neighborhoods with houses typical of what you would find in many older southeastern cities. One thing unique to Athens is Finley St. It is a cobble stone street and at one intersection it is one lane and there is a tree in the road. It is the tree that owns itself. Someone willed the property to the tree a long time ago.
(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Finley...335.35,,0,0.87)
(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Finley...,0.002221&z=19)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 11:54 AM

I love college towns. And this appears to be a particularly fine one. Never been myself. Love it that you added the weather reports

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
Red October standing by

great pics. i've never been to Athens, i'll have to change that at some point.

great shot of Greenville too.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:18 PM
furified freestyle

atlanta news anchors use dell laptops? of course they do.

nice set of athens, it's a great little town. stayed in the travelodge in the first pic last time i was in town. wouldn't recommend it. roaches on and in the toilets, but not till the morning after you've slept off that corner of clayton & college and you don't wanna see some shit like that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 3:27 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Damn your newphew got a lot of hair.

And first off, this bootleg black Glenn Close...

...better go on somewhere! She ain't got shit on Uncle Ben at Channel 12 or Paula Toti or whatever her witch nose name is.

Secondly, we know she ain't THAT light-skinned!

WHO YOU FOOLIN', SOSA?!?!?

And thirdly, this bootleg Marsha Bonhart...

...better stick with givin' me my grits at the Mary Mac's!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 3:50 PM

^^^^ huh? Leave Monica alone. She's an Atlanta institution - much respect for her.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:46 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
^^^^ huh? Leave Monica alone. She's an Atlanta institution - much respect for her.
Oh lawd...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:13 PM

The skyline shot of Athens is much appreciated. Great thread.

I love overly dramatic news coverage. The local news in the Bay Area will have that same level of "storm watch" coverage when we have any "severe" rain storms. We'd probably be on apocalypse watch if it ever snowed.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:17 AM

Looks like a clean little city, I think its' the first time I can recall anyone sharing any photos of Athens.

BTW congratulations, it's fun being an uncle trust me when I say that. You can send them home when you get tired (lol). I can tell he's related to you, just a lighter version but he resembles you man.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 1:28 AM

These photos of Athens and your photos of Atlanta are unbelieveable. You must be a professional photographer I take it. You've got a great eye.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:52 AM
Ex Houstonian

What a wonderfully well preserved town.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:37 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Ice.

Become a Jay-Z shopper. or Lay-Z.

And Church closings on the news? Really now!

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:10 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Athens is a good looking town. Wish you would have gotten a few more pictures of UGA's campus.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:58 PM

I've seem a few tours of Athens GA before, but this is the first one where I feel like I get it.

Those tv news shots were strangely compelling for some reason.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
Sanguine Misanthropist

Thanks EVERYONE for your kind responses!

@cwkimbro: Thank you sharing those abstract little oddities with me. I love that kind of stuff, and I intend to check out both locations on a future visit. Needless to say, this time I will be better prepared.

@WesternGulf: Ha! No kidding, the first time I saw him I thought he was wearing a hat!

@LSyd: Thanks for noticing the Greenville photo. I’ve driven up some steep hills in my life, but never an actual *mountain*. There were moments when I was scaling the summit (of Paris Mountain), curving up corkscrews and hidden bends, when I almost felt the need to hold my breath, for fear of losing control of my brother’s Saturn Vue, and tumbling down the mountain in slow-motion like a Looney Tunes cartoon character. And to make matters worse, it started sleeting at soon as I reached the (rather creepy, graffiti-sprayed) top of the mountain. I couldn’t get down fast enough after I took that picture. /coolstorybro

@giovanni sasso: Man, I would think with a relatively decent location like that, the Travelodge would sound at least a *little* better than a homeless shelter, but go figure! BTW, out of morbid curiosity, I just checked out the reviews of that place on TripAdvisor…not only is it currently listed as the worsthotel in Athens, but the most recent review (from last week) has the headline “Not Worth The Cost If It Was Free”

@ChrisLA: I can definitely say with confidence that I know *exactly* what you mean about being an uncle now! It is enjoyable…in selected doses. BTW, my older brother and I look fairly similar (so I’m told) and almost every time I’m pushing my niece (his 16 mo. old daughter) around in a stroller, people are trying to tell me how cute “my daughter” is.

@ColDayMan: How did I know you would have such enlightened commentary to offer about Atlanta’s finest talking meat puppets? And, BTW…Uncle Ben…maybe…But I know you’re not trying to put MONICA and “witch nose” from ch. 12 in the same conversation!!

@arkitekte: The relative lack of lack of UGA pictures in this thread is my biggest regret about my tour. I drove through there once on a photo “reconnaissance mission”, and never followed up before the storm came through….ah well, something to do next time.

@Pompuss: Thanks! I only wish I knew how to make a living at it, since for now photography is only a hobby.

@stepper77 & @Thundertubs: I’m glad you appreciated the TV coverage…I wasn’t sure how self indulgent I was, including all that crap on a SKYSCRAPER forum thread, but I figured it was tangentially related to my Athens experience, so what the hell…

@Segun: Apparently some local TV stations will put anything on the air. Exhibit A, B, C, D & E:

(all images from www.thewolfweb.com)

Hey look, I’m spamming my own thread!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 2:20 PM
BANNED

Nice little town!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 4:29 PM
E pluribus unum

None of them anchors got shit on Simone.

I still think Uga's one of the better college football mascots. Dig college towns in general. Sweet pics of Athens

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 2:37 AM

Athens ROCKS! Woof!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos