HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:00 PM

Incidents in Manchuria

For stop three of my Asian tour I'll be focusing on the region of Manchuria. The region is comprised of the Northeast area of China and has a history filled with controversy, having been ruled and occupied by the Russians, Japanese, regional warlords and the Chinese. The title of this thread comes from the Manchurian Incident where the Japanese bombed one of their own railways under a false flag which they blamed on the Chinese. They used the incident to justify their invasion of the region which they occupied until the end of WWII.

As I explained in my last thread on Dalian, I am studying developing world infrastructure and was in China for a school project. The project focuses on improving the Chinese Kang heating system (pronouced Kong - like King Kong) which is heavily used in the region. Part of this project was to visit local communities to understand how people use their Kang and how they would feel about proposed technical improvements. I visited three separate communities:

The first was to an area just north of Dalian called Pulandian.

The second was to the border town of Dandong which sits on the Yalu river, about 200 km from Dalian. On the other side is the city of Sinuiju, North Korea. An old bridge that was bombed by the US in the Korean war serves as a major tourist attraction for the Chinese. I stayed in a hotel where all the workers were North Korean. I tried to speak to one through my Chinese translator but the girl didn't even understand Chinese. Bizarre.

The third was to a small farming village in Hebei (technically not Manchuria) where I stayed with a family and conducted a focus group with the locals.

Sorry for the long intro, I'll try to annotate some of the shots.

Some nationalistic music. I was a bit apprehensive to use this song as I felt it would come off as the type of music a foreigner would stereotype as quintessentially Chinese. Something like a Chinese tourist selecting 'America the Beautiful' for their shots of the heartland. But, I heard this song a lot at Karaoke while I was there and I don't think the Chinese were singing it to be ironic. It is meant to be a patriotic song and I felt my experiences in these smaller, lesser known cities and villages better reflected Chinese culture than what I experienced in the more cosmopolitan Shanghai and Beijing.

Video Link

I conducted a focus group with these villagers which was an unorganized mess but insightful nonetheless. People showed up to socialize and catch a glimpse of the foreigner from America. At one point during the questioning, one of the old women across from me got antsy and started adjusting her shirt. She pulled it up to reveal two sagging, bare breasts which she adjusted and then put back under her shirt. My jaw dropped and I lost my train of thought. I stammered trough the next few questions.

A typical shower at one of the farms. Many homes don't have hot water. The water is heated using solar hot water panels. The shower is shared by four adults that generally bathe once every 3-4 days. Having hot water is desired by most of the households but generally too expensive to install.

This is Sinuiju, North Korea. I was able to take this shot from my hotel room window. You can see the DPRK flag on the ships in the foreground.

The two bridges in the background connect Dandong to Sinuiju. The closer bridge was bombed by the Americans during the Korean war to stop the Chinese from supplying the Koreans. The bridge was never fixed and now serves as a tourist attraction. A new bridge was built which can be seen in the background.

Closeup of the two bridges.

Traffic is rare but does flow across the new bridge.

I went to the Korean war museum which explained all the acts of American agression and how bravely the Koreans fought against the imperialistic invaders. Keep in mind this museum is in China, not North Korea.

Not many foreigners visit these places. Unblinking stares and dropped jaws were common.

A woman that works on one of the farms I visited. She is sitting on her Kang bed.

The farmer whose home I stayed in. He is also sleeping on his Kang.

This woman is showing me how her Kang works. The hot smoke from the stove, or in this case the hot wall firing chamber, travels through a channel in the wall and into the sealed Kang chamber in the next room. The heat from the smoke is transfered to the Kang which then releases it to the room. The smoke is then exhausted through a connected chimney.

One of the issues with the current Kang system is that many are poorly built and leak smoke. This creates unsatisfactory indoor air quality. You can see smoke that has leaked from the Kang in the photo below.

This is coal that is used to heat homes on a farm I visited. The coal is dirty and expensive for the residents. We are trying to develop a system that would phase out coal use in favor of biomass (corn stalks, corn cobs, etc)

A Kang bed and a modern bed in one of the homes I visited. The farmer stated he prefers the modern bed because it is soft. The younger generation favors modern beds and many homes that are built today lack traditional Kang systems. You can see a biogas reactor outside the window. This house used biogas created from crop waste to cook. There was not enough gas created to heat the home.

A traditional stove and the biomass used for cooking fuel.

A motionless ferris wheel in North Korea. I wasn't sure if this was real or just a potemkin cut out.

A biogas reactor at one of the farms.

DPRK on the left, China on the right.

That's it. The thread was a bit of a change from my usual material. I hope it was informative without being too boring. Next, I'll get back to the eye candy with the glitz and grit of Beijing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:23 PM

Interesting thread, never had too much of an image of what Manchuria looks like really, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:26 PM

fascinating stories brilliant photography nuff said.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:56 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Awesome photos as usual. The experience must have been awesome.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 9:10 PM
International

Definitely not a region I'd ever think we'd see on here. Fascinating stuff, man. I am at a loss for words.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Very interesting thread. Great photos too!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:01 AM

Great pictures! Interesting to see what North Korea looks like, from just a regular picture or two.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:14 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Easily one of my favorite tours of yours.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:11 PM

Wow. Definately one of the most interesting phototours we ever had on here. And the photos themselves are awesome as usual. Fascinating stuff.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:26 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Excellent pictures and very interesting thread about Manchuria and its inhabitants. Thanks for the pics.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:34 PM

I just found out a coworker of mine is from Dailan. Weird that I com across this thread on the same day. She described it as the most beautiful place in the world. Now, I'm not so sure. Great pictures though.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:56 AM
菠蘿油

I've read about kang but it's great to see exactly what they look like and how they work.

Great set. Such an interesting place. I think even most Chinese would consider Dongbei a bit strange and eccentric. Definitely the hinterland.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 2:34 PM

book worthy

These photos are coffee table book worthy. Great framing and overall eye for detail.

Out of curiosity, what camera did you use?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 6:38 PM

outstanding! thanks.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
I just found out a coworker of mine is from Dailan. Weird that I com across this thread on the same day. She described it as the most beautiful place in the world. Now, I'm not so sure. Great pictures though.
A lot of the Chinese I met really liked Dalian. Something about the climate. While it wasn't terrible, it is nowhere near the most beautiful place in the world.

enro, Thanks. I'm using a Canon 5D mk III. I bought it just before I left this summer. For those curious about camera or photo data, I link all my shots to flickr. Follow the link and you can see what camera was used to take the shots and the settings (iso, f stop, shutter speed, etc)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 2:33 AM

The only thing that would make this thread better is if there was a drop-down thesaurus so I could find a word to say other than "wow" or "incredible" lol.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 3:25 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Excellent stuff.

The Dongbei region has quite the reputation in Shanghai. People love the food (it's good), but think the people are overly hostile and violent. They look pretty chill here.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 6:56 AM
Babylon falling

My Kang never leaks smoke, dey got some janky Kangs over there son

I definitely heart Manchuria, its like a vertical North Dakota in the 1940's!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 5:09 PM
aka GM on SSC

Fascinating pics and interesting comments.
I like seeing the lesser known China... we often see Shanghai, Hong Kong or Beijing but rarely the rest of the country, especially the small towns and rural areas. So thanks !

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 9:28 PM
3rd Coast King

Great tour. Very interesting. The commentary was good. I honestly wish there had been a bit more.

Did have an idea about heating solutions. I have heard about power plants in Texas that are fueled from cow patties. Apparently they contain a good bit of energy and are cheap as shit, lol. But seriously you might want to look into it more since they do have cattle there.

The shower situation was pretty sad as was the serious need for dental work. Sorry I have a pet peeve about bad teeth.

So did you actually go into North Korea? Or was that not allowed? The pics looked like a serious time warp on the korean side.

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos