HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
That Yonge view of The One really shows what a dump of a street Yonge has become. It's a complete and utter embarrassment to the city. Yonge was never a beautiful street but it was a fun one and with all the condos going up along the corridor you would think cleaning up the street and making it a beautiful and pedestrian friendly one that the city could be proud of would be a top priority.

I think Torontonians have gotten to use to Yonge and don't realize what a complete abomination the street is. Calling it ugly is an insult to ugly things everywhere.
Whatever you say, White Rock man.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 11:57 PM
I am the law!

An abomination and an insult to ugly is a tad much. I don't know what the expectation would be to see it in such a light. It's something that doesn't make sense for Yonge like the condofication.

No excuse however, this is a bad time of year. The city is at its dirtiest.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 12:19 AM

Yonge is sterile and boring and generic, but I wouldn't call it ugly, let alone the ugliest street in the entire world. I can look out the window and see a much uglier street.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:46 AM
I am the law!

I wouldn't use sterile, boring or, generic to describe Yonge right now. I would say it's in flux with so much being in development. That will be sterile, boring and, generic once more gets completed. The pre existing can still give you a venereal disease if not careful.

I don't particularly want to see a mostly pedestrianized street with benches, trees and, fountains. Those will just get in the way for street festivals or Torontonians getting together to celebrate.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 5:54 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
That Yonge view of The One really shows what a dump of a street Yonge has become. It's a complete and utter embarrassment to the city. Yonge was never a beautiful street but it was a fun one and with all the condos going up along the corridor you would think cleaning up the street and making it a beautiful and pedestrian friendly one that the city could be proud of would be a top priority.

I think Torontonians have gotten to use to Yonge and don't realize what a complete abomination the street is. Calling it ugly is an insult to ugly things everywhere.

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2021/01...cil-vote.43908

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 6:10 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Boring? Well that comes down to what an individual finds interesting. But sterile and generic... no. The new condo projects that are directly on Yonge are injecting a touch or generic sterility, but at this point it's still in a sea of funky, historic, playful, tacky, eclectic, gritty, seedy, and a host of other descriptors.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 12:46 PM
I am the law!

Exactly. That landscape plan while beautiful destroys the essence of Yonge Street as a huge metropolitan area's gathering spot. The design is ubiquitous for a main street in small town Ontario. Trees and benches are obstacles. Where are people going to go when the Leafs win the Stan ... wait ... the Blue Jays win the Worl ... wait ... The Raptors win the Larry O'B ... shucks nevermind.

Downtown Toronto is a harsh concrete jungle and it's only getting harsher and more concrete. There is a huge desire for this. IMHO, it just doesn't make sense for Yonge.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:41 PM

CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre l Phase 2 u/c

Cool model of the CIBC Square twins (and park over the rail corridor).

cyclo

cyclo

reinventingthewheel

Riseth

From Rogers Centre (SkyDome) on the right.

reinventingthewheel

From Riverdale Park.

Rascacielo

mburrrrr

Reflected in the serrated gold of Royal Bank Plaza.

globalexpress

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:05 PM

Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini l u/c

SkyTower left of centre.

Kinda cool shot from a broker site. Thinking the photo was taken from the of top of Libeskind’s “L Tower” on Yonge.

jackattack

mburrrrr

On the left is the prepped site of the 3 tower (up to 299 metres) Sugar Wharf Phase 2.

mburrrrr

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 10:08 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Exactly. That landscape plan while beautiful destroys the essence of Yonge Street as a huge metropolitan area's gathering spot. The design is ubiquitous for a main street in small town Ontario. Trees and benches are obstacles. Where are people going to go when the Leafs win the Stan ... wait ... the Blue Jays win the Worl ... wait ... The Raptors win the Larry O'B ... shucks nevermind.

Downtown Toronto is a harsh concrete jungle and it's only getting harsher and more concrete. There is a huge desire for this. IMHO, it just doesn't make sense for Yonge.
Trees and benches are obstacles? If you're a pick-up truck maybe but not if you're a human being.

We can't design streets for extreme cases, they need to be designed for everyday use, and people will adapt. Ste-Catherine Street in Montreal is regularly flooded by hundreds of thousands of people during the summer festival season and it has plenty of trees and benches – plus food kiosks and crowd-control fences.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 12:30 AM
I am the law!

I don't see why we can't plan for extraordinary circumstance. It's like Nathan Phillips Square and the Peace Garden. The square looks a lot more barren without it in the centre. It was moved for all those extraordinary circumstances where it was in the way of people's movement

Yonge devoid of furnishings and landscaping isn't an issue if the rest of downtown is pretty. The BIA has renovated a few spaces off Yonge like the walkway to Granby Street. It's a nice place for a guy to relieve himself but it's a missed opportunity to provide a space for mom to sit. In any case, more Yonge adjacent sites can fulfill the role.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 5:18 PM

Shot from Cormier’s Love Park near the waterfront.

ward10

The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

Stunning set from @jer1961.

jer1961

Mechanical floors.

jer1961

jer1961

jer1961

jer1961

jer1961

jer1961

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 3:32 PM

Edwarander

Edwarander

From the Sugar Wharf Phase 2 site.

NiceForWhat

IrishCanadian98

Rascacielo

Slickpete83

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing it as ugly. In fact Yonge has some of the best looking urban style in the country. Sure parts are ugly but it's a massive street with many different faces. Depending on where you are the street has a completely different look and feel. The stretch between Dundas and Bloor is going through a massive overhaul at the moment and the city isn't about to invest in fixing it up until most of the construction is complete, so not any time soon. It looks way better then it did just a few years ago in the section mentioned above and it will only get better and more big city urban as it evolves.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
To Drew's point... obviously Yonge constantly changes a ton from the lake to the northern edge of town... this is Yonge and it ain't ugly.

Looking south down Yonge to Bloor.

jackattack

How many times ya figure Yonge changes in the city proper from North York south to the lake??

Golly that green piece in the middle looks purdy from above lol.

Link

Last edited by Maldive; May 3, 2024 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:35 PM

Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini l u/c

224 metres taller than Elon Musk’s boosters and Starship… this rocket will (most ;-) likely be the tallest edifice in country for decades to come.

Really great set from @skycandy:

skycandy

skycandy

skycandy

skycandy

AHK

mburrrrr

UT

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:59 PM

CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre l u/c

skycandy

AHK

skycandy

AHK

skycandy

ProjectEnd

ProjectEnd

160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG l nearly complete

jackattack

AHK

Paclo

Last edited by Maldive; Yesterday at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:07 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

CIBC Square:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada