HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:48 AM

HAHA!! Yep, that is accurate. I'm getting rid of my CIBC bank account and credit card. There is no benefit being a customer of that bank. Ironically, I'm keeping my PC Money account and Mastercard which are much better and don't service charge me to death. My wife deals mainly with Scotiabank so I have an account and Visa with them as well which is so-so.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canadian corporate greed? The companies that come to mind first:

1. Apple Canada
2. George Weston and the other big grocers
3. CIBC and the other big banks
4. Rogers and the other big telcos
5. VISA Canada

When companies becoming too dominant or enjoy a monopoly, they're more destructive than positive. They use their market power to stifle competition, inflate prices, exercise undo control over distribution channels, and end up with price structures that don't reflect the cost of the product/service they provide. We all pay a huge price when greed is this out of control.
If Pierre Poilievre or any politician was serious about affordability issues they would be going after the corporation you named above.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
HAHA!! Yep, that is accurate. I'm getting rid of my CIBC bank account and credit card. There is no benefit being a customer of that bank. Ironically, I'm keeping my PC Money account and Mastercard which are much better and don't service charge me to death. My wife deals mainly with Scotiabank so I have an account and Visa with them as well which is so-so.
I left CIBC half a lifetime ago when they behaved assholish towards me when I tried moving my account from Montreal to Vancouver (where I was then based). Walked across the street to the RBC, and been with them ever since (3 mortgages, many mutual funds and RRSP accounts, RESPs, etc., etc. over the years). I would not say that RBC is amazing: it is very mediocre at the very best. But there is something rotten about CIBC.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 11:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I left CIBC half a lifetime ago when they behaved assholish towards me when I tried moving my account from Montreal to Vancouver (where I was then based). Walked across the street to the RBC, and been with them ever since (3 mortgages, many mutual funds and RRSP accounts, RESPs, etc., etc. over the years). I would not say that RBC is amazing: it is very mediocre at the very best. But there is something rotten about CIBC.
My first account as a child was with CIBC. Probably because my mom banked with them, which was probably because her parents did. I seem to remember her or my dad having an account at the Bank of Nova Scotia though when it was still branded that way, as well as a credit union.

When I was in my early teens mom set up me and my sister at Canada Trust. They became my every day bank -- everyone recall that their ATMs were branded as "JohnnyCash" and he did commercials? I eventually closed up the CIBC account. Then TD 'merged' with CT, and slowly everything good about CT evaporated.

My best experience was with ING. I finally opened a savings account with them in my early 30s after frequently being pestered by email, then a chequing account, then a TFSA and small line of credit I rarely used for a long time. Scotia moved in and became their overlords, keeping the brand (now Tangerine) and most of the good things about the bank, but they are the boss. I kept some stuff live at TD for a long time but finally closed those accounts 5 years ago.

I now have multiple accounts at Tangerine, Scotia, and RBC, the latter which I only opened because they were within walking distance of where I had been living if I needed cash from an ATM. Tangerine's online services are the best, IMO, but I find RBC to be the "slowest" when it comes to making transactions... I have had to play the debt roulette game over the past 16 months, moving money among accounts and between banks. Twice RBC has charged me for being overdrawn, for doing transactions that would have been just fine for other banks; they were kind enough to reverse some fees the first time it happened and I questioned it with proof, but no dice on the second instance. When my debt clears soon (selling a marital home) I will pay off what I owe to RBC and be done with them. I may keep the credit card just to have a Visa because the one I have has no fees, but they'll get no other business from me.

And this bullchit about "holding" deposits is a major pain. I've had friends with money from house sales -- that were paid into an account directly by their real-estate lawyers -- get told they can't immediately access the funds, which they were planning to use to pay their own debts. I've learned to make transfers between banks using Interac e-Transfers to get around that issue, but then I often need to do it multiple times given the transfer limit. I'll be quite glad when the debt dance is done, but I do wonder how long the banks will allow that loophole to exist. How dare we have access to our own money when we want it!

JOHNNYCASH Money Machine commercials from the mid-1980s:

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Apr 16, 2024 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 1:33 PM
recession proof

Nok er Nok! Who's boycotting Loblaws this month?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I stopped shopping there months ago because Superstore near me turned into a 3rd world jungle. Just crap all over the aisles, dysfunctional families crowding all over the place, barely any working staff that even speak English, price gouging, the fact they changed their self-checkout machines which are almost unusable, those glass "fences" and other security measures. I'd rather just spend 5% more at Sobeys as it's always clean, orderly, shelves always stocked, staff are actually good at what they do.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I stopped shopping there months ago because Superstore near me turned into a 3rd world jungle. Just crap all over the aisles, dysfunctional families crowding all over the place, barely any working staff that even speak English, price gouging, the fact they changed their self-checkout machines which are almost unusable, those glass "fences" and other security measures. I'd rather just spend 5% more at Sobeys as it's always clean, orderly, shelves always stocked, staff are actually good at what they do.
That basically sums up why I go to Metro even though it's slightly farther than FreshCo.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Boycotters gonna miss some good deals.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 11:24 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

If people shop more at local independent grocers as a reaction to this then that'll be a huge win. If they just go to one of the other two grocery oligopolies instead then I'm not sure what the point is beyond being free advertising for Metro and Sobeys.

I haven't been in an actual Loblaws-branded store in years, though I do get some stuff at Loblaws-owned FreshMart and T&T on occasion. I'll at least make a point to try to avoid those (along with the local Safeway) for the month.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
That basically sums up why I go to Metro even though it's slightly farther than FreshCo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
If people shop more at local independent grocers as a reaction to this then that'll be a huge win. If they just go to one of the other two grocery oligopolies instead then I'm not sure what the point is beyond being free advertising for Metro and Sobeys.

I haven't been in an actual Loblaws-branded store in years, though I do get some stuff at Loblaws-owned FreshMart and T&T on occasion. I'll at least make a point to try to avoid those (along with the local Safeway) for the month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Freshco, Super C, Maxi and Food Basics might be a little messier but honestly I don't notice that much difference. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than 5%. It has also diverged massively post pandemic. Shopping at FreshCo today with a few price matches I spend a lot less than going to Farm Boy or Loblaws pre pandemic and probably spend up to half as much as they charge in 2024.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 11:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

I wish more people had the options that I do - I do go to No Frills occasionally but most of my stuff is bought locally on Roncesvalles. The greengrocers are cheaper than Loblaws proper and on-par with No Frills but the produce actually seems to last longer - I assume they get it from a distributor that goes to the Food Terminal directly. My wife goes to Costco once or twice a month with friends and gets some meat to freeze and beyond that I'm ok going to the fancy butcher which again, is only a bit more than Loblaws for higher quality. When we're at our house in Napanee I have to get basics at No Frills but the local butcher is much cheaper for far higher quality.

We're lucky based on location but hopefully more people check out local options that aside from the bougier shops can provide a similar offering to the big chains. Totally understandable that this isn't the case for everyone of course.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:00 AM
recession proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Boycotters gonna miss some good deals.
I went to Freshco this evening and it was busier than usual. Overall, I find Price Chopper (renamed Freshco a decade or so ago) has always been inferior to No Frills, feeling third worldish and disorderly. Anyway, as usual, they didn't have what I needed in stock - lactose free skim milk and cheese.

The best deals I see in this week's NF flyer: yogurt, NN olive oil and ground chicken.
(Re: olive oil. I was in the Bathurst and Centre Street Walmart on Sunday and discovered they have a large selection of Israeli/kosher products, including decently priced olive oil. I used to celebrate Passover.)

On https://www.reddit.com/r/loblawsisou...l/s/PasjTLUJXE

I was reading about a couple who make $600k income complaining about Loblaws prices. I feel like asking them if they'll sell me their cottage for 50% off.

Re: produce. All Ontario grocery stores, restaurants, green grocers get their produce from either Ontario Food Terminal or Elmira Produce Auction (mostly Mennonite farms.)

Obviously there's some organic produce sold directly on farms and at farmers markets.

Big companies like Metro, Walmart, Costco, Empire, Loblaws buy from OFT, ship to their DC and then order assemblers pick out orders for individual stores. While mom & pop's rely on smaller local distributors, who btw, tend to sell cheaper less attractive fruit & veggies passed over by the big guys.

I briefly worked at a DC, and I can imagine this month, many part time assemblers at Loblaws DC will be sent home without pay for lack of work. So before you boycott, think about the less fortunate making $20/hr who rely on your business to pay their rent.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 2, 2024 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
So before you boycott, think about the less fortunate making $20/hr who rely on your business to pay their rent.
Don't blame the consumer for the business practices of the grocery chains.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Maritimes are basically stuck with the Sobeys/Loblaws duopoly (I use Sobeys myself, supplemented heavily by Costco). Of course, there is also Walmart.

There are strong rumours that Moncton will be getting the regions first Metro store. It will be interesting to see how that shakes up the marketplace.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Fortunately, I have a lot of choice where I live. Roblaws gets a small share of my grocery dollars, which are distributed, in decreasing order, as follows: Costco (ahead by a large margin), Remarks (local produce store, upscale but excellent quality), Walmart (yeah, I know, but it is real close. I never go there for groceries, but when I am there for household stuff, I will pick up a few things), then StupidStore (Roblaw's in disguise....personally hate the place, but it is nearby), Food Basics (close by), and Giant Tiger (literally 3 minutes from my door, and good for last minute bags of chips, candy, hamburger buns, etc.).

There are two Roblaws locations in London, and I avoid these at all cost....way too expensive, terrible layouts (25 aisles of 'crap' [PC brand housewares, mostly] sandwiched between horribly overpriced grocery items in the aisles on each end). Plus I just can't stand Galen. He is the Ben Mulroney of the retail world (actually, he is much worse, given his insatiable rapaciousness).

Shoppers Dog Fart was always overpriced, but it has gotten way worse since Galen et al. took it over. $2.50 for a chocolate bar? Over the counter medications at DOUBLE (triple) the price of Walmart (Costco)? Having to walk through the stinky cosmetics zone (with the glaring lighting and overpriced, garish products) just to get some cough drops?

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:34 PM

My perscriptions are at the local Superstore Pharmacy so I'll still be using them for that.

In general, my usual grocery shopping tended to be split between Superstore and Walmart for the bulk of my general purchases. (I go to a local market for steaks and sausages and other meat products, and a bakery for rolls). Compared to Sobeys I didnt' find Superstore all that different for my usual purchases; but I think I will try to skip shopping there for this month as best I can.

In Freddy, our choices are basically Superstore or Sobeys. St Marys is semi-independent, but carries Sobeys products, and we have local markets like Victory and Mikes.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

for Lio

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:41 PM

If that guy became the next LPC leader instead of Mark Carney, you'd vote for Poilievre, right?

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If that guy became the next LPC leader instead of Mark Carney, you'd vote for Poilievre, right?
Nope, I'd sooner move back to Quebec, so I could vote Bloc.

Seriously, Peevish Polyester would be my last choice for PM. Followed by Trudoh.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:50 PM

Galen is only your third worst? He's beating expectations / punching above his weight

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada