HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:52 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
They can't just let the corpse die permanently, huh? Gotta keep the thinnest of slivers of hope alive for....some reason? Don't recall Atlanta getting such a deal.

Anyway, thanks for the discounted tickets in 2016/17 City of Glendale taxpayers. Got to see a bunch of Canadian teams cheaper than here and enjoy some nice weather at the same time.

Mostly I'm glad the saga's over. Next on the list: Fox's undead animated TV shows that stopped being relevant decades ago.
More importantly, Winnipeg or Quebec didn't get any such treatment or options back in the mid 90s either.

Either way, Atlanta worked out for the better. Twice.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 9:02 PM
I am the law!

The guy sold the team to the NHL. Did he really want to sell? Did the NHL convince him to sell not just with the billion dollars but also the option to start another team? Makes sense to me.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 9:02 PM

I don't know why either of you think Atlanta, Winnipeg or Quebec City should have got the same deal. None of those 3 had ownership groups having their team basically taken away from them by the league. Alex Meruelo was in a different situation. As much as he bungled this up from an arena perspective (if he had just paid his lease at Glendale, he could have stayed there indefinitely until he was finally able to get a new arena built), he still had the right to keep the team. He could have just as easily told the NHL to f off, it's his team and if they want to play hardball, see you in court. The league had to grease the rails as much as possible to make this happen as quickly as it did.

There were no rails to be greased with the former owners of the Thrashers, Jets and Nordiques, they all more or less threw the keys on the table and walked away from their teams.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 9:54 PM
Community Guy

Tada
---
East:

New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals
NYR in 5

Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs
BOS in 6

Florida Panthers vs Tampa Bay Lightining
FLO in 5

Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders
CAR in 4

West:

Dallas Stars vs Vegas Golden Knights
DAL in 6

Winnipeg Jets vs Colorado Avalanche
WIN in 6

Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators
VAN in 5

Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings
EDM in 7

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Tada
---
East:

NYR in 5

BOS in 6

FLO in 5

CAR in 4

West:

DAL in 6

WIN in 6

VAN in 5

EDM in 7
So, all higher seeds will win all 8 series. Gotcha lol

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:35 PM
the first stamp is free

In the west the only lock to round 2 is the Oilers. The rest of the matchups are toss ups IMO.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:49 PM

Utah Blizzard, Utah Fury, Utah Venom, Utah HC, and Utah Hockey Club have apparently all been trademarked.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
2 billion in tax incentives have been given by the city to develop a mixed use Entertainment District around the already built stadiums downtown. Why wouldn't any Atlanta NHL team be going there? It wouldn't look all the good for the NHL to not be part of it.
Neither of the groups proposing expansion to Atlanta are talking about downtown. One is about 20-25 miles north, in Alpharetta (North Point Mall, for those looking where), and the other, The Gathering (Union Hill Rd and highway 400) is another 10 or so miles north of that. The NBA Hawks arena the Thrashers used to play in downtown Atlanta has been renovated into a basketball only arena and can't accommodate hockey anymore.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:17 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
So, all higher seeds will win all 8 series. Gotcha lol
I know, bold prediction, but I will stick with it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
You forgot the disjointed, disinterested ownership group. They almost immediately tried to sell the Thrashers as soon as they acquired them as part of their deal with TBS to buy the Hawks and the arena lease.
Correct. All in all, the hockey team was second fiddle to the basketball team in that arena, so losing the hockey team wasn't a big deal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:59 AM

If the Coyotes are re-activated, it seems to me that expanding to 36 teams would keep things nice and even. Then some of these cities could get the teams that they have wanted. You put one new team in each division:

Atlantic Division: Quebec City
Metropolitan Division: Atlanta
Central Division: Houston
Pacific Division: Arizona

Are these cities the clearest favorites right now? Everything seems pretty nice and clean as far as division footprints and sating potential owners and/or fans. The only things that don't fit perfectly are that Kansas City would still have an arena with no tenant, and that Arizona fits better in the Central Division due to the time zones, but I can't think of a Pacific Time Zone city that does not have a team and is really trying to bring one in.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
If the Coyotes are re-activated, it seems to me that expanding to 36 teams would keep things nice and even. Then some of these cities could get the teams that they have wanted. You put one new team in each division:

Atlantic Division: Quebec City
Metropolitan Division: Atlanta
Central Division: Houston
Pacific Division: Arizona

Are these cities the clearest favorites right now? Everything seems pretty nice and clean as far as division footprints and sating potential owners and/or fans. The only things that don't fit perfectly are that Kansas City would still have an arena with no tenant, and that Arizona fits better in the Central Division due to the time zones, but I can't think of a Pacific Time Zone city that does not have a team and is really trying to bring one in.
There has been some rumours coming out of San Diego. I don't think the time zones matter so much though, considering the mountain time zone teams in the Pacific now and its only 4 months of the season that Phoenix is the same time zone as Edmonton/Calgary. The first 4 weeks and last 6 weeks of the season plus playoffs, they are in the same time zone as the rest of the Pacific division. Central division is multiple time zones as well. I could argue Phoenix should be in the Pacific as they make more sense with those rivalries (especially Vegas) in my mind, but then someone else would need to move to the Central and there isn't any one team that makes any more sense than Phoenix does, and you can't split Alberta, that would be suicide.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:48 AM

Quote:
There has been some rumours coming out of San Diego. I don't think the time zones matter so much though, considering the mountain time zone teams in the Pacific now and its only 4 months of the season that Phoenix is the same time zone as Edmonton/Calgary. The first 4 weeks and last 6 weeks of the season plus playoffs, they are in the same time zone as the rest of the Pacific division. Central division is multiple time zones as well. I could argue Phoenix should be in the Pacific as they make more sense with those rivalries (especially Vegas) in my mind, but then someone else would need to move to the Central and there isn't any one team that makes any more sense than Phoenix does, and you can't split Alberta, that would be suicide.
San Diego has enough people, and I bet people are antsy for and would appreciate another pro team after the Chargers left, but without a new arena, I think San Diego is a non-starter. Their current arena was built in 1966 and looks it, so it would be like putting a team in the Forum in Los Angeles or the late Spectrum in Philadelphia. There is apparently interest in building a new arena, but they should probably start working on it soon if they are going to bring an NHL team or NBA team to San Diego. They really need a new arena just for concerts and whatnot anyway.

Portland is the other city out that way that could fit. They have the Trail Blazers arena, and the Penguins almost moved there in the 2000s. But is there interest out there? Is a prospective owner in place?

Of course, I think Arizona in the Pacific Division is good enough, because there are better options in the middle of the United States than there are along the west coast.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:49 AM
Go Chiefs!

I like Edmonton but I ultimately believe Dallas is winning it all. Their depth is just insane!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
San Diego has enough people, and I bet people are antsy for and would appreciate another pro team after the Chargers left, but without a new arena, I think San Diego is a non-starter. Their current arena was built in 1966 and looks it, so it would be like putting a team in the Forum in Los Angeles or the late Spectrum in Philadelphia. There is apparently interest in building a new arena, but they should probably start working on it soon if they are going to bring an NHL team or NBA team to San Diego. They really need a new arena just for concerts and whatnot anyway.

Portland is the other city out that way that could fit. They have the Trail Blazers arena, and the Penguins almost moved there in the 2000s. But is there interest out there? Is a prospective owner in place?

Of course, I think Arizona in the Pacific Division is good enough, because there are better options in the middle of the United States than there are along the west coast.
Well, yes, obviously a new arena would need to be part of the plans in SD, as it would be for Atlanta and Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:24 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I like Edmonton but I ultimately believe Dallas is winning it all. Their depth is just insane!
I hate Edmonton but I ultimately believe Dallas is winning it all. Their depth is just insane!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:02 PM

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/...troduce-the-go

A neat tidbit at the very-SSP intersection of hockey and transportation infrastructure; Go Transit will have a GO LEAFS GO train to playoff matches. Fan rallies at the stations, onboard amenities for supporters, and a spiffing blue paint scheme. Neat idea.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:13 PM
Community Guy

Dallas' depth is insane with what 8 x 20+ goal scorers; that's basically three lines that can score.

For comparison, Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto have 5, Winnipeg 4.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:16 PM
Community Guy

​I had wondered if and when we had played Vancouver in the playoffs....

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/edm...ord-vs-canucks

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:35 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Nothing to discuss except exit interviews here in Flamesland so I’ll take a crack at Cold’s list with my predictions (my changes bolded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Tada
---
East:

NYR in 4

BOS in 6

FLO in 6

CAR in 5

West:

DAL in 7

WIN in 6

VAN in 7

EDM in 6
Actually have all the same first round winners (that’s a little scary ).
CAR over DAL in the final in 7 games.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada