HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 7:32 AM

350 Eighth Street

From the 4terrainvestments.com web page:

8th-and-Harrison-01

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 8:36 PM
She needs her space

Randos:

Washington and Van Ness:

Franklin and Bush:

101 Polk and 100 Van Ness:

1400 Mission:

1400 and 1415 Mission:

1321 Mission:

Trinity Phase 3 (requested for 2nd time that its thread be re-opened and moved to construction):

Mercy Housing + St. Anthony's Dining Room:

SFMOMA:

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 9:59 PM

simm 3 redux - some great updates of what is happening. There are too many for me to keep up with in person!

This morning was the largest quake that I have experienced in my 27 floor apartment in 43 years. Minor cracks at right angles at the ceiling which is expected. Nothing fell.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 6:40 AM
dazzle me

a nice mise à jour, simms, saves me the trouble of uploading any of the snaps i took today. the only one i'll add is just to show the washington street side of the "marlowe" development. yes, it's the modern building on the left, so that the "marlowe" project envelopes the mystery building going up on the corner.

also, in re the earthquake - like, i didn't even feel it out in the mission where i was hanging out last night. my gf phoned me at like 330 or whatever because she was woken up at our place on hyde and geary but like noone at the party where i was felt anything. did the quake not travel to the mission?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:52 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
a nice mise à jour, simms, saves me the trouble of uploading any of the snaps i took today. the only one i'll add is just to show the washington street side of the "marlowe" development. yes, it's the modern building on the left, so that the "marlowe" project envelopes the mystery building going up on the corner.

also, in re the earthquake - like, i didn't even feel it out in the mission where i was hanging out last night. my gf phoned me at like 330 or whatever because she was woken up at our place on hyde and geary but like noone at the party where i was felt anything. did the quake not travel to the mission?
The tremors from the initial shock were felt as far away as the California and Nevada state line.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 2:18 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post

I live within blocks of the photo you uploaded and I felt it *very strongly* at ~3:30 AM. Woke me up out of a Saturday night coma - the whole building/area woke up simultaneously. Was hard not to. Granted, I'm also on the 5th floor of a building, so it was rocking quite a bit. My first undeniable EQ experience...everything else seems to get confused with a large semi roaring by (or a nonexistent subway passing by underground...which obviously we don't have since our transit sucks, hehe).

Coming from FL (originally), I'll take that any day over a hurricane/tropical system, derecho, or severe "out of the blue" storm that can wreak havoc. I'll let you know if I change my mind if we go through a 7+ magnitude and parts of the city burn down again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
The tremors from the initial shock were felt as far away as the California and Nevada state line.
SF felt it. I know of only one person who slept through and he doesn't wake up for anything.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:27 PM

Felt it good in Sacramento in an 1880s Victorian house! Was creaking and grinding for quite a while.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 10:20 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I felt it very strongly here in Mission Dolores. Strongest s-waves I've ever felt, and this was by far the noisiest earthquake I've ever experienced too. Everyone I've spoken with in my building woke up.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 10:32 PM
heavy user of walkability

Mosso came up in one of the individual threads, and I hadnt been by there in a while, so here a couple shots along the Folsom side

there is some sort of little alley on the west end:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 11:18 PM
heavy user of walkability

Dropbox on Brannan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'll add a few more miscellaneous shots.

Here's a tiny sliver of SFMOMA from the backside:

Rincon Hill rising:

The evolving Rincon Hill skyline:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's another project to put on our long-distance radar. From Bisnow:

Quote:

Today we learned more about multifamily development from our story yesterday on a newly assembled SoMa site, 667 Folsom, 120 Hawthorne, and 126 Hawthorne. It just hit the market and may fetch $1,500-$1,800/SF, a new high-water mark. Polaris Pacific partner Chris Foley is spotting an interesting trend as he gauges interest from developers: rental and for-sale are both strong. Historically, at this spot in the cycle, apartments would wane by now and we'd see only condo developers. But because rents and employment are so strong he's seeing demand on both sides, he says.
The previous article from Bisnow on this topic stated:
Quote:
Almost all the land in S.F. that was approved in the last cycle has been bought up, leaving no real entitled land anymore. The buyer can expect 12 to 24 months get through the entitlements process and another six months for the building permit. So from purchase to starting construction we are talking up to two and a half years, he says.

Chris has reached out to a large list of developers—local, regional, national, and international. A lot of foreign money is interested, he says. The call for offers is Sept. 12 and he expects to get about 10 to 15. The site can fit a 130-foot-tall building. With low interest rates and strong rents, the market is seeing both condo and multifamily developers buy land today.
Wish it could be taller.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 9:15 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I can't date the top photo but think it is at least 30 years old. The bottom photo was taken 08/21/14. Both photos are a view from the 27th floor of the Fox Plaza.

I used to see the 4 towers of the SF Bay Bridge & most of Yerba Buena Island.

skyline_before and after
I have to quote this so it shows up on another page. This is really amazing. Thanks for sharing these, Jerry.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 10:32 PM

State Fund, now Dolby Building - corner of Market & 9th Streets (circa 1976)

A view of the foundation work for the State Fund building circa 1976. The building was completed in 1977. The view is from the 27 floor of the Fox Plaza (now Essex Fox Plaza).

You folks might want to look at the right angles at the ceiling of your building as that is where cracks are from the recent earthquake. Of course they are cosmetic! The 1989 earthquake was strong enough to buckle the sheet rock in the halls - within a day the manager had the cracks painted to hide the damage, but I know what to look for. :>)

Unfortunately digital cameras had not been invented in 1976 so I took very few pictures of my view.

State Fund (now Dolby Bldg.) before and after

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 11:06 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

These before/after photos are amazing! So much growth over the last 30 years...

Also, the Chronicle has an interesting article concerning seismicity and the design of our new crop of skyscrapers. It's well worth checking out, and something we may want to refer other forumers to when they talk nonsense about earthquakes and skyscrapers.

Last edited by fflint; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:06 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I can't date the top photo but think it is at least 30 years old. The bottom photo was taken 08/21/14. Both photos are a view from the 27th floor of the Fox Plaza.

I used to see the 4 towers of the SF Bay Bridge & most of Yerba Buena Island.

skyline_before and after
I'd say the top photo is from 1979, the year that 595 Market was completed (the white tower with horizontal black window bands). The former Pacific Telesis Tower at Post and Kearny (now the Post Montgomery Center) was completed in 1982 and it isn't visible yet.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:28 PM

101 Polk Street - Concrete Pour for the Foundation

viewguysf - thanks for the detective work! We have a better date on the photo.

Last night the major concrete pour was done. Lots of cement trucks went by the building! View from the 19h Floor this morning in the Essex Fox Plaza.

Fresh Concrete - 101 Polk Street

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:24 AM

Quote:
viewguysf - thanks for the detective work! We have a better date on the photo.

Last night the major concrete pour was done. Lots of cement trucks went by the building! View from the 19h Floor this morning in the Essex Fox Plaza.

Fresh Concrete - 101 Polk Street
What's happening at the Veteran's Building (old SFMOMA and Herbst Theater)?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:08 AM
urbanphile

^earthquake retrofit and general upgrades.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:11 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
What's happening at the Veteran's Building (old SFMOMA and Herbst Theater)?
It's the last of San Francisco's major Civic Center buildings to finally be seismically retrofitted and restored, along with systems improvements, and reuse of some areas (particularly the Opera taking some space).

http://onesanfrancisco.org/wp-conten...n_02.07.11.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations