HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 1:01 AM
Ex Houstonian

Epic Arkansas Journey Pt. 1

Over the first half of Spring Break last week I went to northeast Arkansas, the last part of the state that I really havent explored at all. I still have a few random small areas of the state to cover for my book on the state but they are close by and not very large areas. Anyways, I made a thread a few weeks ago about my trip down to southeast Arkansas. The northeast part of the state is still in the Mississippi Aluvial Delta and is as flat as can be. The southeast part of the state is largely black, while the northeast part is largely white. The small towns although, were in a little bit better shape than the southeast part, but not by much. The nicest town I visited was Jonesboro, home to Arkansas State. Their downtown had lots of new infill development of high quality, which was surprising to see. But, most of the other towns I visited were in shambles and have lost tons of population. It is very very important to photograph these places as most in 20-50 years I would surmise, will no longer be in existence. Anyways, heres the photos from my trip.

Orange is the first half of my trip, blue the last.

Little Rock

Little Rock

Lonoke, first little town I stopped in along 40/70 east

Lonoke

Carlisle, all of these small east Arkansas towns barely survive off of farming for the most part now.

This lady was restoring this beautiful turn of the century house in Carlisle, she let me tour her house too which was pretty cool.

Hazen

Little tiny podunk town of De Valls Bluff along the White River.

Louisiana Purchase State Park on the way to Helena. This was the starting off point in 1815 for plotting township and range from the original Louisiana Purchase in 1803.

This was very cool, saw this house out of the corner of my eye leaving the state park, it even had some awesome little houses out back that you rarely see.

Last town on the way to Helena, Marvel, its pretty much a hell hole.

These following pictures are form Helena, a town a lot like Cairo Illinois along the Mississippi, its not quite as bad, but its getting there.

Leaving Helena

Marianna

Marianna

Abandoned school in the pretty much abandoned town of Hughes.

Hughes, this place was something else, I talked to a cop that told me to not hang around in this town. He said crack is a huge problem in this little podunk, I drove around the neighborhood that surrounded the destroyed downtown, and it looked like a hurricane went through it. Its seriously, the worst town Ive ever seen in the entire state.

Leaving the hell hole of Hughes, a tiny little church outside of Hughes.

Crawfordsville

Parkin, home to one of the most important archeaological sites in the state, Parkin Mounds where De Soto went through as they have found Spanish horse bells and beads from his expedition.

This pottery is some of the most advanced ever found in North America, it dates from around 1200-1400.

The mound site used to be a very large city, when De Soto came through in the 1520s, it was a town of around 2 thousand people, huge for a Mississippian community.

I ended day two in West Memphis, the most crime ridden town in the state, along with Pine Bluff near Little Rock

Memphis

Memphis

Beale St. was super crowded since it was Spring Break, it was awesome.

Beale St.

West Memphis just over the Mississippi from Memphis.

I tried getting a photo of the Memphis skyline from the Arkansas side but the Mississippi was flooding and all the roads to the areas I wanted to go were underwater.

Ill make part 2 in a few days. I have so many photos to go through.

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 31, 2011 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 1:53 AM
International

Here on SSP, you are both Arkansas' best friend and worst enemy.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:36 AM
Ex Houstonian

Im showing it how it is, and its not pretty out in the eastern part of the state.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:25 AM
Paramoderator

I never new that Memphis was able to retain its street car system while all the other cities had theirs destroyed. It's great. Amazing work!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:34 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Excellent tour.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:16 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Another awesome thread. The pictures of Memphis look good. A lot of eastern Arkansas reminds me of my hometown in rural West TN. When you grow up on a farm in a town of 7,000 citizens you see a lot of what you've shown in your previous threads.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Do you ever go over to Arkansas at all and visit or have visited some of these towns. What about West Memphis or Helena. If you havent been to Helena, I highly highly recommend you go there. Its so depressing, yet so incredible and so storied.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:35 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
Do you ever go over to Arkansas at all and visit or have visited some of these towns. What about West Memphis or Helena. If you havent been to Helena, I highly highly recommend you go there. Its so depressing, yet so incredible and so storied.
I haven't actually taken the time to wander around other than hunting back in Jan and Feb and passing through on the way to Dallas during Spring Break. I'll have to set aside a Saturday and check out West Memphis and Helena in detail...I'm too close not to.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

West Helena is a pretty bad area, I was talking with a cop that got suspicious of me taking photos down there at night and he told me that there were just two murders three and then two blocks away where I was taking photos. He told me to pretty much beat it, so I did. West Helena doesnt have too many historic buildings left but the main street looks like in the past it was a grand sight to behold and stretched for many miles with buildings lining the whole street from the floodplain of Mississippi and then for about 4 miles west of it. Im sure there was a streetcar line down the Main street, think its called Broadway, at one point. But now, West Memphis is a place you dont want to be walking around in after dark. Ive never really felt unsafe before, taking photos at night anywhere, but I sure felt unsafe there. Anyways, its worth snooping around and Helena is only about an hour away from Memphis and at one point, Helena rivaled Memphis for river traffic and commercial exports in the region and was home to many of Americas first blues singers, along with Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:15 AM

Last edited by djlx2v2; Apr 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Even in their decrepit state these towns have a human character and feeling of place that is simply absent in post ww2 suburbia mega subdivisions.

I really would rather live in one of these towns than some cul-de-sac at least I could walk to the store....that is if there was a store to be had.

Its a commentary on our culture / political economy that towns like this flounder but sprawl blobs on and on

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 8:43 AM

Epic indeed - love this one.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 12:13 PM

Some of those shots made my skin crawl. Still, they are beautiful in a haunting, tragic way.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 1:55 PM

Great pictures! There's a chance that I could be in Memphis in the summer, so seeing some of it is pretty nice.

Is that Louisiana Purchase monument supposed to be in water?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Great pictures! There's a chance that I could be in Memphis in the summer, so seeing some of it is pretty nice.

Is that Louisiana Purchase monument supposed to be in water?
When that monument was dedicated I think back in the 1920s, it was most likely a drained swamp. They had a photo at the monument when it was dedicated and it looked pretty dry. But then the state park was established in the 70s and they reflooded the swamp to make it look like it did back in the early 1800s.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2v2 View Post
Great photos, thanks. It's too bad the northeastern part is so flat...I always had some idea that the northeastern side was where it's at. It was nice to see the small towns too, even Hughes, since that's obviously a low-level town but important I suppose to keep a memory of...Helena, now, sounds like it must be something, but maybe not if it's rivaling Memphis. Memphis looks like party-time. Tennessee in general. Am I right?
Helena is something but its not at all a rival to Memphis anymore, not at all, its mostly abandoned. It was 100 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:55 PM
on the south side

Isn't there a hilly area that separates Helena and W. Helena?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yes, Crowleys Ridge, it cuts all the way up Arkansas and into MO. It usually is only about 1-3 miles wide and breaks up the flatness of the delta region. Its an area that wasnt ever effected by the rivers in the region. They missed the ridge and it was preserved.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:07 PM

Last edited by djlx2v2; Apr 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 8:51 PM

What an remarkable tour. So sad to see so many dying towns. But, your photos definitely capture a sense of the place. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos