Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I didn't realize this building is going to have underground parking. How generic. I can't think of any tallest supertalls in American cities that have garage doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Trump Tower Chicago, John Hancock Center, Aon Center Chicago, US Bank Tower in LA, and Bank of America Tower in Atlanta all have underground parking. It's more common than it's not to have a parking component in a major office building.
yeh doesnt really make any sense. especailly saying "how generic".. what? if i worked in this building i would certainly like the fact that i can drive and park right underneath it if i want to. not everyone is strategically positioned to, or able to take public transit everywhere they go. that being said, this building is also just about the most easily accessed spot in SF for public transit once that station is open hah

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:11 PM
She needs her space

And actually some of the towers listed out (virtually all of them) have above ground parking in addition to or in lieu of underground parking.

I think NYC is the only market in the country and really amongst a very small few in the world that can put up a million SF of office without providing dedicated parking. TB Tower's parking garage will be like 101 Cal's - reserved for execs and those who happen to need their car that day. It won't be for 95% of the workers in that building on a daily basis. I'm sure it will serve a public need, as well. A friend of mine parked in EC's garage last night for convenience to get to something.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:55 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Just abreviate the name to the SF Tower- that way it looks like it's the San Francisco Tower.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Just abreviate the name to the SF Tower- that way it looks like it's the San Francisco Tower.
Oh the problem with that is that it's in SF so wouldn't that be a little confusing- since all the towers are SF towers? The SF tower? Do you mean the St. Francis?

Big deal. What's in a name? Think if the Empire State Building was called 350 5th Ave instead? Not so iconic. Or called the LinkedIn Building? Actually, come to think about it that one isn't so bad.

But peanut gallery really nobody is in a tizzy. We are just having a little fun with it.

BTW thanks guys for the explanation re. height. The height thing might also seem a little trivial (and it is) but it does seem important to some:

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/08/243714...uilding-debate

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 10:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
But peanut gallery really nobody is in a tizzy. We are just having a little fun with it.
Maybe just a little tizzying. But it's not just here. Other sites are going nuts over the name too. I'm just surprised since naming buildings, stadiums and other amenities after corporations is such a long-established practice. I wasn't happy when Candlestick was changed to 3Com, but that was something like 20 years ago. Calling the new one Levi's Stadium didn't generate any negative feelings inside me. I expect it now and thought everyone did. Guess not.

No biggie though. Don't want to rain on anyone's fun. Carry on.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
And actually some of the towers listed out (virtually all of them) have above ground parking in addition to or in lieu of underground parking.

I think NYC is the only market in the country and really amongst a very small few in the world that can put up a million SF of office without providing dedicated parking. TB Tower's parking garage will be like 101 Cal's - reserved for execs and those who happen to need their car that day. It won't be for 95% of the workers in that building on a daily basis. I'm sure it will serve a public need, as well. A friend of mine parked in EC's garage last night for convenience to get to something.
Exactly. Parking will be at min, $500 a space / month

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 11:45 PM

"Cloud Tower" would have been a phenomenal name for a building, let's just dub it as the nickname. I'm actually Surprised it hasn't been used already somewhere else.

Its most definitely nice too see the Bay area as well as Sacramento get some major projects going.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnine1six View Post
"Cloud Tower" would have been a phenomenal name for a building, let's just dub it as the nickname. I'm actually Surprised it hasn't been used already somewhere else.

Its most definitely nice too see the Bay area as well as Sacramento get some major projects going.
I think your thinking of "Cloud City" from Star Wars.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:39 AM
Green Berniecrat

Wow, great news for this one. Salesforce Tower it is then! I also fancy this "Cloud Tower" but I figured with all our awesome fog and how tall this really is, it will literally be "in the cloud" at least a few days out of the year

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:03 AM

Yes, I can already imagine the top of Salesforce Tower gleaming in the sun high above the thick fog layer above everything else in some future post card, photo book, or promo photo, or something.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 7:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

I like the name. Having the "-force" suffix commands power and strength, and I like the comparison to the Sears Tower, which we have come to associate so strongly with the skyscraper that one almost forgets it's a corporate name. Most importantly, it says a lot about the rebounding strength of the American economy that we are seeing company-branded supertall skyscrapers rising again. cheers to San Fran

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:25 PM
Build Baby Build

The marketing out front already says Salesforce Tower, they were quick to add that. It seems people on forums still call the big LA development the wilshire, even though it could easily and may very well be called Korean Air Tower.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 8:41 PM

The deal was big enough that Salesforce filed an 8-K with the SEC, which has some nitty-gritty:

Quote:
On April 10, 2014, salesforce.com, inc. (the "Company") entered into an office lease agreement (the "Lease") with Transbay Tower LLC to lease approximately 714,000 rentable square feet (the "Premises") of an office building to be located at 415 Mission Street, San Francisco, California (the "Building"). The lease payments associated with the Lease will be approximately $560 million over the 15.5 year term of the Lease, beginning in the Company's first quarter of fiscal year 2018, and the Company estimates that triple net operating expenses related to this Lease, also beginning in the Company's first quarter of fiscal year 2018 through the term of the Lease, will be approximately $305 million. The Company expects to pay approximately $130 million for leasehold improvements, net of tenant improvement allowances, to be incurred as each phase is delivered, beginning in the Company's first quarter of fiscal year 2018.

The Premises will be delivered, and will expire, in phases during the total term of the Lease. The first floors are scheduled to be delivered on or about April 1, 2017, and the last floors are scheduled to expire on September 30, 2032. The Company has the right to extend the term of the Lease for seven years, then the successive right to extend the term for an additional five years. Subject to certain terms and conditions, the Company also has the right to sublease, assign or transfer the Premises.

The Company's press release announcing the Company's entrance into the Lease is attached hereto as Exhibit 99.1 to this Current Report on Form 8-K. The information in the press release attached hereto shall not be deemed "filed" for purposes of Section 18 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the "Exchange Act") or otherwise subject to the liabilities of that section, nor shall it be deemed incorporated by reference in any filing under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or the Exchange Act.
According to this, Q1 of FY2018 is actually February 1, 2017 to April 30, 2017.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
The marketing out front already says Salesforce Tower, they were quick to add that. It seems people on forums still call the big LA development the wilshire, even though it could easily and may very well be called Korean Air Tower.
Actually the Ceo and Chairman of Korean Air has already said the name will be "The Wilshire Grand"..... that's why everyone down here calls it that....just for clarification....... I've grown attached to calling this building the "Trasnbay" :-(. SalesForce works too I guess.... I like SF tower... can work both ways Salesforce/SanFran. Either way I like this building. Always have..... Don't tell anyone in the LA forums that I said that HAHA .Cali getting 2 tall ones, and symbols of each city at that, is for sure a good sign for things to come.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:33 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post

Most new office towers even in NY actually do include underground parking up to the maximum allowable number of spaces. Too much of a cash cow for developers not to build it.

Normally the entrances just have to be on narrow streets (not avenues), so they are easy to tuck away from the main tower. The NYT tower, WTC, and all the new residential supertalls on 57th st include underground parking. I don't understand why it's such a big deal that this one does....

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 6:24 PM

San Francisco touts this tower as a symbol of its transportation future. It is right next to one of the largest and what will be one of the busiest transit stations in the country. There will be buses from all over the region, CalTrain, high speed rail, and underground walkways to MUNI and BART. This will be one of the densest and active transit locations in the nation, and all of this will be accessible within a 30 second walk from this tower. That is why it is disappointing to me that this tower has a parking garage. There are tons of public garages being build and already existing within a one block radius.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
San Francisco touts this tower as a symbol of its transportation future. It is right next to one of the largest and what will be one of the busiest transit stations in the country. There will be buses from all over the region, CalTrain, high speed rail, and underground walkways to MUNI and BART. This will be one of the densest and active transit locations in the nation, and all of this will be accessible within a 30 second walk from this tower. That is why it is disappointing to me that this tower has a parking garage. There are tons of public garages being build and already existing within a one block radius.
Because most the people in the "upstairs office" will not take public transportation to work regardless of how convenient. I do not see the big deal really. If they can, why not? It makes the tower that much more marketable.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 12:23 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Because most the people in the "upstairs office" will not take public transportation to work regardless of how convenient. I do not see the big deal really. If they can, why not? It makes the tower that much more marketable.
Even if 100% of the people working in the building were riding transit every day, underground parking is still desirable because you can charge other people for it - and the spaces will get filled, just like they do here in New York, in the most transit-dense piece of land in the country.

You should be happy that 1) there is no minimum parking requirement as there is in many other places that aren't so well connected to transit and 2) the garage is under the building, not detached or an above ground podium.

Eliminating parking in downtown cores is a fantasy. Doing it right is a huge win.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Most office buildings in New York don't require underground parking. However, in the Hudson Yards district, there are a number of parking spaces that are attributed to the overall parking (which will be under Hudson Blvd).

Public transit is usually stressed as a plus factor for buildings, not parking.

For example, here is new tower 250 W. 55th St, walking distance from many transit options...

http://250w55.com/location-2/

Parking options for this tower...

http://250w55.com/location-2/

But no, office buildings in New York generally do not provide parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
From skyscrapercity.com

Solid roof is 970 feet, floor count 62, but the diagram should be changed to 1070 roof because all other buildings crowns count as roofs (IE BOA in NYC etc.)

Good solid height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 4:38 AM

I found this shot on flickr - It really gives you an idea of the impact this thing will have on the skyline when compared to the surrounding/existing buildings.

Salesforce Tower construction site by sfadden, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture