HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 9:59 PM

Last edited by djlx2v2; Apr 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 10:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I rarely do much to my photos editing wise. Its just going through and resizing them and naming them and then downloading to photobucket that takes forever. I dont believe in manipulating my photos in photoshop or whatever, its cheating imo. And thanks for the compliments, its very much appreciated

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:34 AM

nm

Last edited by MinnesotaTwins; Jan 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 5:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
The eastern part of the state is much much much worse off than the western half. The small towns in the western half are kinda falling apart, but not nearly as bad as the eastern and southern parts of Arkansas. Western Arkansas has gained population though, while the eastern half has lost. A lot of the small towns all over the south may be losing population but they still have plenty of people to have vibrant downtowns. Its that the building owners no longer give a shit and that all of the development in pretty much every last town in America has been pushed to the outer rings of the towns. Doesnt matter if the town is only 300 people, or 2 million. Central business districts the nation over no longer are necessary and development is now in big box stores or people just shop at the gas stations and have left these small downtowns to rot. Its really a damned crying shame. If people cared still, I can guarantee that every last one of these towns for the most part, could once again have semi vibrant downtowns, doesnt even matter if the town has lost half its populations. It could be consolidated and these towns could have a central business district again. But no, Subways, McDonalds, and WalMarts invaded and history is now lost.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 7:27 AM

Intresting I had know idea that West Memphis was that dense. Also I love those pics of the small towns, has that eerie feel to them.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 4:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Its really not all that dense, it used to be, just that one little stretch in the photo had solid buildings left, the rest was pretty much demolished.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 8:10 PM

I'm really a fan of this ongoing Arkansas series. I wish we could get one of these for every state.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 8:56 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Oh man, Texas would be nearly impossible to do, it takes like 17 hours to drive from the east to the west part of the state. Delaware and Connecticut would be really easy for someone to do. Here in Arkansas, it takes about 5 hours or so to drive from Ft. Smith, to Memphis. But, to cover the entire state, its taken me nearly 3 years of driving the back roads and highways, and I still have missed tons of towns. But, Ive probably seen more of the state that 99% of the people who have lived here their entire lives.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
Oh man, Texas would be nearly impossible to do, it takes like 17 hours to drive from the east to the west part of the state. Delaware and Connecticut would be really easy for someone to do. Here in Arkansas, it takes about 5 hours or so to drive from Ft. Smith, to Memphis. But, to cover the entire state, its taken me nearly 3 years of driving the back roads and highways, and I still have missed tons of towns. But, Ive probably seen more of the state that 99% of the people who have lived here their entire lives.
Would be? I must not have much of a presence on here because I have shown almost every single place in Delaware already.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 11:16 PM

Man, your photos are amazing! I am living in Jonesboro right now and I am stunned at how your photos capture the state, for better and worse. Can't wait to see your Jonesboro pic.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Sweet, I thought I was the only person on this forum living in Arkansas. Jonesboro was pretty sweet, it was for sure the nicest town I saw in eastern Arkansas by far.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 12:40 AM
not cleavefied

Well, I can say I've seen Arkansas now. And now I'm a little depressed.

Either way, excellent work in those small towns.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 1:13 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Great job!

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:24 PM

Arkansas is very different from west to east, and also from north to south. Tennessee is in a similar position as one side is flat in the broad and fertile Mississippi valley and the other is full of hills and mountains. Same thing in Arkansas but opposite sides. I'm sure similar towns exist in both states. It is generally a pretty poor region of the country.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 9:11 PM

Nice thread,good photography!!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

What Ive seen while living here for 4 years is that Arkansas is an incredibly beautiful state inhabited by mostly incredibly ugly and mean spirited people, which makes no sense. And yes, eastern Arkansas is basically an entirely different country from western Arkansas. Eastern Arkansas is mostly black, while western is mostly white. Eastern Arkansas is very flat, while this is what a lot of western Arkansas looks like.

Took this photo yesterday coming back from a float trip on the Buffalo National River.

This is from this weekend canoeing on The Buffalo in the northwest part of the state. It was the first designated national river and is completely protected for its 125 mile run. A few of us rock climbed up a cliff to get on top of it for some epic views of the wilderness area. It was pretty awesome.

Last edited by photoLith; Apr 19, 2011 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:27 AM

^ Love the Buffalo River. I plan on going over there at least once this summer. The Mulberry and the Illinois just across the border in Oklahoma are also fun Ozark rivers for rafting/kayaking.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 4:48 AM
urbanphile

looking forward to part two.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 12:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Im going to be posting part two to this trip after 3 months of putting it off... tonight.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos