HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:13 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Virginia Beach: The largest "city" in Virginia, and it's got a 23-mile long bridge

Virginia has an unusual legal structure for cities and counties. It's esoteric and a bit ridiculous, but the long and the short of it is that Virginia's biggest historic central cities have fairly small populations (Norfolk 245k, Richmond 210k), while the most-populous and powerful jurisdictions tend to be counties (Fairfax 1.1m, Prince William 421k). Then there are some jurisdictions that seem like cities, but are actually counties (like Arlington), or vice versa.

Virginia Beach is one such vice versa. According to Virginia law, it's a city of about 450,000. But it looks and functions more like a suburban county than anything else. Call it an accident of legal semantics. Regardless, here it is. These photos are from October.

The Oceanfront

The oceanfront is the oldest part of Virginia Beach, and until recently was the only part that's even remotely urban. It's a classic east coast beach strip, with the beach, then a boardwalk, then a strip of high-rise hotels, then a main street with retail and bars, then cheaper hotels behind. The same basic pattern repeats itself all up and down the coast at resort towns like Ocean City MD, Atlantic City NJ, and Myrtle Beach SC.

No cursing.

There's a US navy air base a couple miles inland from the beach, and fighter jets are constantly flying around. This is a common sight:

Virginia Beach Town Center

Several miles inland, surrounded by Virginia Beach's largest collection of strip malls, sits Virginia Beach Town Center, a new urbanist downtown.

At 508 feet tall, the building with the pyramid top is the tallest in Virginia. Other Virginia cities have far more skyscrapers than Virginia Beach, but none as tall as this one.

Town Center is surrounded by typical suburban retail.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

Undoubtedly the coolest thing about Virginia Beach is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, a 23-mile-long collection of bridges and tunnels that cross the mouth of Cheapeake Bay.

It's not a suspension bridge so it's not pretty, but it's a marvel of engineering. The tunnel sections are for ships to cross.

Photo from Virginia Beach Vacation Guide. All other images in this thread are mine.

About 1/4 of the way across the bridge-tunnel there's a man-made island where the bridge slopes down to become the first tunnel section. There's a parking lot and tourist center on the island, so it's a good place to stop to look around.

Here I'm at the northern tip of the island, looking across over the tunnel section, to see the island on the opposite side of the tunnel where the road once again comes above sea level and becomes a bridge. You can see how the bridge curves behind for several miles until the next island, off to the right, where it once again becomes a tunnel.

There are a lot of ships. Norfolk and Baltimore (up the bay) are two of the biggest ports on the US east coast.

That includes military ships. Norfolk is the main US navy base for the Atlantic fleet.

No zoom:

Looking back towards the mainland:

Zooming way in on the mainland, you can see the Norfolk navy base, about 12 miles away.

Zooming back to the mainland but looking southeast instead of southwest, you can see the two lighthouses of Cape Henry, about 6.5 miles away. The shorter of the two was built in 1792. The taller in 1881.

That's it! Goodbye!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I've never been (I have been to DelMarVa), but palm trees look weird and out of place to me in Virginia (I think of it as being temperate, similar to my own climate), but I guess that its location on the far southeast side of the state on the ocean allows for a different climate than NoVa.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:30 PM
cities|transit|croissants

It's not far enough south. The palm trees are non-native, and have trouble surviving.

You also see a few in Ocean City MD.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:33 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Interesting. I have experimented with european palms here, but the odd extra-cold winters that happen every 4-5 years will zap them if you don't build a temp greenhouse over them (i know that there are european palms around in DC). The full palm trees are less cold hardy yet.

Occasionally I will see a sad palm tree as far north as Dallas.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:50 AM

It is weird indeed according to photos. A wide spread resort city with one main street? A downtown core with nothing but only two tall buildings? Where are the rest of urban areas that hold 450,000 residents?

What represents VB's city skyline?

Speaking of VB it reminds me of Victoria Bitter, and it is really bitter, not good.

Last edited by Murphy de la Sucre; Feb 2, 2016 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:56 AM
Eurosceptic

Looks awful... but I appreciate the photos of this large yet amorphous city.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 4:48 AM

Nice pictures. Virginia Beach is not urban, but is interesting geographically in its own way. The Princess Anne area is the historic center of Virginia Beach, but was an unincorporated courthouse "town", like a Spotsylvania.

The Delaware beaches are similar, yet different, than Virginia Beach. You would like to see it in my state. Rehoboth Beach fits your description of East Coast beach towns, where you mentioned Ocean City, Myrtle Beach, etc. In fact, Rehoboth Beach might be the most similar to Virginia Beach. I bet you could throw a couple Rehoboth Beach pictures in there and no one would know better. Yet, Sussex County has a height limit on buildings, specifically "so that we don't become Virginia Beach (or Ocean City)." Another way we're similar is that we have military planes flying around all the time too: Dover AFB is fairly close by, and you can see the big C-5s flying overhead.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 5:46 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:30 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very interesting tour! I like Virginia Beach and that amazing bridge-tunnel. Thanks for the pictures.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 6:03 PM

Thanks for posting photos! VA Beach is a suburb that's trying to mature and evolve into a "real" community. That new town center has a ways to go, but at least it's a start. Hopefully, over time it'll continue to expand and develop more personality. It reminds me of lower-cost versions of Reston Town Center or Mizner Park (Boca Raton).
I recall hearing that LRT is supposed to be extended to VA Beach from Norfolk. I would hope it will go through their town center!

My brother has a time-share on VA Beach--nice wide beach there, but the architecture of the buildings is nothing noteworthy.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:40 AM
Red October standing by

thanks for the tour, i haven't been in 25 years since i was a kid and was wondering what it looked like now. the "town center" looks nice albeit surrounded by fugly crap. it could be worse though...like the backwoods of here.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 6:45 AM

Height limit

Va Beach has a 200' height restriction at the oceanfront
"There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!" Ecc. 12:12 (NLT)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:04 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I confess that I find the whole Hampton Roads metro area intriguing. I imagine that living in Norfolk would be akin to living in Raleigh or Charlotte if Myrtle Beach were right next door.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 12:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the unique bridge/tunnel is beyond interesting, vb not so much.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:49 AM
A before E

Some great photos, it is amazing how much things have changed there since I grew up there, but at the same time it looks like very little has changed outside of adding a new downtown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
It is weird indeed according to photos. A wide spread resort city with one main street? A downtown core with nothing but only two tall buildings? Where are the rest of urban areas that hold 450,000 residents?

What represents VB's city skyline?

Speaking of VB it reminds me of Victoria Bitter, and it is really bitter, not good.
I do not know how many square miles the VB area is but it is nothing more than urban/suburban sprawl too the max.....It had no town center like a real city so they created one. The larger metro area, it is part of, is known as Hampton Roads. Which includes VB, Norfolk, and Newport News, with a population of over 1.500,000 and growing.....The real city is Norfolk, VB is like a satellite city. It was originally a resort by the ocean but now part of a fast growing region.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos