HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 2:26 AM

University of Houston

University of Houston
Starting from Moody Towers (Dorms). Took a walk through campus yesterday.

My partner driving back to his office after lunch at Moody Cafeteria

Aggressive Squirrels!!!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 3:44 AM
Meh

Nice pics. I don't think I've seen UH shown here before.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:11 PM

Wow great job!! And nice that you got some pics of the University Center too... They just started renovations on it, so that building is about to come down.

The food trucks are outside because they've shut down our UC food vendors ( I work at UofH). Thanks for coming to check out the campus!

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

UH is pretty ugly I think personally, although the campus is densifying. Theres still way too much 70s-80s crapitecture in the campus for my tastes.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
UH is pretty ugly I think personally, although the campus is densifying. Theres still way too much 70s-80s crapitecture in the campus for my tastes.
Pretty much every campus here in Texas is like this save for Rice, TCU and a handful of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivist View Post
And nice that you got some pics of the University Center too... They just started renovations on it, so that building is about to come down.
The open aired one with the bookstore? Seriously?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:22 AM

Go Coogs!

And a Bernie's Burger Bus sighting.

I attended UH for grad school in the mid 90s. The changes on campus since then have been amazing. New Calhoun Lofts, new freshman dorms, new dining hall, new rec center, new science bldg, new biz bldg, new optometry clinic, new Greek life townhomes, several parking garages, new retail outlets (Taco Cabana, Bookstore, Starbucks) new baseball and softball stadiums and soon to be a new sophomore housing complex, new football stadium, new UC Center, and an upgraded Hofheinz Pavilion.

Go Coogs!

UH GSSW '97

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:22 AM

I've always liked the UH campus, although not nearly as much as Rice. I remember that in the 80s I would go to the UH library's top floor and look toward downtown. It was one of the best views in the city.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:56 AM

what an uneventful campus, no offense to your pictures

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 1:50 PM

After going through Texas A&M a few months ago this campus thrilled me
Just documenting sides of Houston people may not have seen.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 1:52 PM
She needs her space

It does have a somewhat suburban regional/commuter school look to it, perhaps that's what it is. Pleasantly surprised by fountains, but compared to UT, Rice and SMU it's otherwise very boring.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
OP missed showing a ton of buildings. He didn't include some of the more exciting buildings (Science and Engineering Building, Alumni Center, New Stadium garage, Wortham Theather, Moores School of Music, new dorms, Greek Row,etc.)

So yes, he seemed to focus on the bland architecture buildings from the 70's.

...AND you missed the sculpture in the UC of the Houston Cougar mauling the Texas Longhorn. No University of Houston photo thread is complete without a shot of that one

Last edited by Bailey; Jul 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
It does have a somewhat suburban regional/commuter school look to it, perhaps that's what it is. Pleasantly surprised by fountains, but compared to UT, Rice and SMU it's otherwise very boring.
I think Texas schools in general were going for that for a few decades. Look at UTSA and SWT (kna Texas State). UTSA was specifically built as a commuter 4 year University and SWT just happened to get many students driving in from Austin and San Antonio daily (I was one). But now both schools are having a building push to bring some sort of real campus experience into the picture. UofH is trying to buy itself :0 into becoming a tier one school. P.S. UT has so much money.....they better have a great campus.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
I think Texas schools in general were going for that for a few decades. Look at UTSA and SWT (kna Texas State). UTSA was specifically built as a commuter 4 year University and SWT just happened to get many students driving in from Austin and San Antonio daily (I was one). But now both schools are having a building push to bring some sort of real campus experience into the picture. UofH is trying to buy itself :0 into becoming a tier one school. P.S. UT has so much money.....they better have a great campus.
UH has about 40,000 students and their goal is to have a quarter, 10,000 live on campus.

They are close to that goal and many more students live in the loop, close by. Houston has so many housing options.

Also, one of the requirements for tier one status is that a majority, if not all, of your incoming freshman MUST live on campus.

The University is preparing for this transition as we speak. Hopefully the new light rail will spur development around third ward and bring the neighborhood up for supporting such a large permanent student population.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
UH has about 40,000 students and their goal is to have a quarter, 10,000 live on campus.

They are close to that goal and many more students live in the loop, close by. Houston has so many housing options.

Also, one of the requirements for tier one status is that a majority, if not all, of your incoming freshman MUST live on campus.

The University is preparing for this transition as we speak. Hopefully the new light rail will spur development around third ward and bring the neighborhood up for supporting such a large permanent student population.
And they are building that now....a boom is going on both on Campus and what with the Light Rail.http://www.uh.edu/magazine/09f/featu...tion/index.php

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:

What?

UH desperately trying to break out of being a middle-of-the-road university for middle-of-the-road people... like me.

yeah... good luck with all that.

Quote:
It does have a somewhat suburban regional/commuter school look to it, perhaps that's what it is.
Of course that's what it is.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Do American universities have campus pubs like Canadian schools, or do they avoid that do to the 21 drinking age law?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Do American universities have campus pubs like Canadian schools, or do they avoid that do to the 21 drinking age law?
yup, there is a pub on campus, appropriately called The Den and they sell beer at all home football games.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
yup, there is a pub on campus, appropriately called The Den and they sell beer at all home football games.
Hmmm......is anyone allowed in, or only students of the school? I went to a suburban commuter university campus (though they've built so much student housing on campus now that it would probably not be considered a "commuter campus" in 2012). If only students are allowed in, that would probably only be about 1/3rd the students that are over 21. At my campus pub only students and their guests were allowed during the night.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Hmmm......is anyone allowed in, or only students of the school? I went to a suburban commuter university campus (though they've built so much student housing on campus now that it would probably not be considered a "commuter campus" in 2012). If only students are allowed in, that would probably only be about 1/3rd the students that are over 21. At my campus pub only students and their guests were allowed during the night.
The University of Houton, historically, has had a mix of older students so its never been a problem.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos