HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:13 AM
Honored Member

Valparaiso, Indiana - 2011 and some 2009

Valparaiso, Indiana - May 11, 2011

All Photographs Copyright © 2009 - 2011 by Robert E Pence

Valparaiso, population approximately 27,000, is the seat of Porter County, Indiana and home to
Valparaiso University, a private Lutheran-affiliated institution founded in 1859. It is the
southeasternmost suburb of the Chicago Metropolitan Area and is about ten miles south of the
southern tip of Lake Michigan and Indiana Dunes State Park via Indiana State Highway 49.

The present Porter County Courthouse is the third courthouse to occupy its site on the town square.
The first, a wood-framed building was built in 1837. The second, a brick Greek Revival building with
a pilastered portico and a bell tower, replaced the wood-framed building in 1853. The current
courthouse, of Indiana Limestone quarried near Elletsville, was built in 1883. Originally it had a
168-foot clock tower. In 1934 a fire thought to have been electrical in origin heavily damaged the
building and gutted the tower. Restoration, minus the tower, was completed in 1937.

The Italianate building that houses the Porter County Museum of History originally served as jail and sheriff's residence from 1871 to 1974. The
Historical Society is embarking on a fund-raising campaign to move the museum's collections to the original firehouse and former police headquarters
just south of the courthouse.

The Porter County Memorial Hall was designed in 1892 by local architect Charles F. Lembke. Some accounts claim that William Jennings Bryan spoke
here during the 1896 presidential campaign. Theodore Roosevelt appeared here, along with John Philip Sousa and the Marx Brothers. When motion
pictures became popular, venues like the opera house declined in popularity. It was converted to show movies, but by the onset of WWII it was
abandoned. In 1955 the Community Theatre Guild leased the property and undertook maintenance for community theater productions. The city
restored the building in the 1990s and leased it to the Memorial Opera House Company. Theater productions, concerts, and other events are held there.

Valparaiso's central business district is fair-sized, with a variety of architectural styles represented. The historic authenticity of facades varies, but
there are few vacancies and most buildings appear to be in a state of good repair.

Central Park Plaza under construction. When finished it will provide an attractive amenity in an
already-pleasant downtown.

I don't know what this fellow's offense might have been, but considering the number of cops, the 'cuffs, and the tow truck, I'd venture it wasn't an
unpaid parking ticket.

Valparaiso University
November 20, 2009

The Chapel of the Resurrection, at Valparaiso University in Northwest Indiana, was designed by
Charles Stade and Associates, of Park Ridge, Illinois. It was built 1956-1959 at a cost of approximately
$7.5 million, mostly from private donations, and was dedicated in 1959 as Memorial Chapel. In 1969
it was officially designated Chapel of the Resurrection. It is the largest collegiate chapel in the United
States, with capacity for approximately 2,000 people depending upon seating configuration.

I remember reading about this structure when it was new and I had often seen it from U.S. Highway 30
en route to Chicago, but I had never taken time to stop and experience it in person. I'm glad I made
this trip especially to see it; I think it's stunning. The chancel is 98 feet (30 meters) high, with the apse
in the shape of a nine-pointed star. The original design doesn't appear to have been altered, and the
building is impeccably maintained.

The newly-completed Christopher Center for Library and Information Services was designed by Esherick Homsey Dodge & Davis of Chicago. It is
part of a $33 million project paid for by gifts from alumni and friends. The grid structure on the south and east sides adds visual interest and provides
a sun screen.The building comprises 105,000 square feet of space and includes state-of-the-art building technology, including automated sun screens
and many wi-fi hot spots in addition to hard-wired data access ports. Two hundred fifty computers are available for student use, and an automated
storage and retrieval system can access any of the 60,000 infrequently-used documents and publications within fifteen seconds.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Jun 12, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:41 AM

I've never seen Valpo before (both the city and the university). Interesting to see! Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:48 AM

Nice tour, Rob. Valparaiso is a nice town. A good friend of mine used to be a staff photographer at the local paper.

It is surprisingly hilly just north of town, between Valpo and Lake Michigan.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 6:12 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

The exterior of the main part of the memorial chapel, towards the foreground in this shot doesn't look as old as it really is. Mostly because of the windows. I guess that kind of modern architecture is making a comeback.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 2:09 PM

Years ago I had a friend that attended school there, but never saw it before. Looks like a nice town. The chapel is remarkable.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 2:39 PM
Dutch Biscuit fan

Small Town USA at it's best.

Even though I don't like the modern architecture of the church, I must say that the stained glass windows are very beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:01 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
Nice tour, Rob. Valparaiso is a nice town. A good friend of mine used to be a staff photographer at the local paper.

It is surprisingly hilly just north of town, between Valpo and Lake Michigan.
I'm familiar with that topography, and although it seems incongruous at first, given the prairie that describes the next hundred and fifty miles southward, I speculate that the hills are old dunes. I'd venture that if you were to drill there, you'd find nothing but sand for at least the first 100 - 150 feet.

The chapel stands as a quality example of Modern design from the fifties and sixties. Although that style has largely fallen out of favor in many circles, Valparaiso University's Chapel of the Resurrection and several public and private buildings in another Indiana city, Columbus, stand apart in three ways. First, they were designed by competent architects who were innovators, not imitators; second, they were built using the highest-quality materials and construction methods; and third, they have been impeccably maintained by owners who have respected the archtects' original intent and who have refrained from "updating" and expanding them with inappropriate remodeling and expansion. Buildings like these should be respected and preserved as excellent surviving examples of a style that, in its day, symbolized optimism, progress, and prosperity.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Jun 15, 2011 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:03 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Nice tour Rob. I don't remember seeing Valparaiso before. I like the fact that downtown is in such good shape, and filled with local stores. Good stuff, thanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:00 AM

Nice pictures! The chapel is a nice piece of modern architecture.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:37 AM
Bah!

A beautiful, healthy-looking midwest city.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 9:17 PM

Great photos. . . thanks for sharing. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 4:58 PM

Wow, beautiful city! Great photos, thanks!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 7:46 PM
3rd Coast King

what a great looking town. It amazes me to see a small city center that is still so full of businesses. That is almost unheard of down here in Texas where most town squares are empty desolate wastelands. I wonder what this towns secret is?

The pictures from the college are great too. I appreciate your explanation about the buildings. They have indeed been maintained rather well. The whole town is really in immaculate condition and very clean. great tour.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 7:59 PM
Uncle Grandpa

I used to live up that way in the early 70's and one of my brothers lives about one mile south of the university off of Sturdy Road. They have some awesome lake-effect snowstorms up there too.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 1:38 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I used to live up that way in the early 70's and one of my brothers lives about one mile south of the university off of Sturdy Road. They have some awesome lake-effect snowstorms up there too.
Twice I've been caught in those snowstorms, and the second time, my Focus got hit by a big rig. I was lucky to survive that one, let alone walk away without a scratch. Now, before heading to Chicago in winter I check the forecast and if there's snow predicted, I can safely assume that it will be two or three times as much as the forecast - with lots of wind. I cancel the trip.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos