HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 8:03 PM

Red Bluff, CA

After my sister changed her mind last minute not to go out of state for college and was no longer in need of my help to move, I decided to use my week off to take an impromptu road trip up through Northern California. I traveled over 900 miles over the course of 3.5 days and got to see a good slice of the middle part of our state. I hope you enjoy.

Part 1: Winters/Willows

Red Bluff (pop 14,076)

The seat of Tehama County, Red Bluff is located a little more than halfway between Chico and Redding, overlooking the Sacramento River. Downtown has a decent collection of unassuming, historic buildings that are thankfully not entirely devoid of life. Adjacent to downtown to the west is a genuinely robust collection of historic and Victorian era. A place you can easily get lost in.

Tehema County Courthouse

Tour of California 1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo, 56: Sacramento River Pt 1, 57: Sacramento River Pt 2, 58: Lake Merritt/Oakland, 59: Marysville/Yuba City, 60: Woodland, 61: Beverly Hills"62: Los Angeles, 63: Sacramento, 64: Lakeport, 65: South Lake Tahoe, 66: Salinas, Watsonville, 67: Pacific Grove. 68: Winters/Willows

Last edited by stepper77; Sep 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 8:34 PM

This is great. Stepper, I really enjoy your tours.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:01 AM

Nice pictures. Another county seat, with the courthouse for proof. I asked this before: how many county seats in California have you visited? Are you more aware of them because I asked about them once already?

My experience with northern California (not sure where the line between north and south is) is only San Francisco, taking the train from the airport through South San Francisco, Daly City, et al into San Francisco, and some of the towns of Marin County. Marin County was a really nice place to me; the dry hills, redwood forests, waterfront towns, etc. How much of northern California is like that? Was Red Bluff like that?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 1:36 PM

California is truly something to behold. I haven't gotten the chance to explore my state nearly as much as stepper has, but looking at these pictures only reaffirms that. Thanks for another great tour.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:35 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Beautiful little town.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Looks like an All-American town. Nice preserved historic neighborhoods too.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:11 PM

Great small town that i have visited but a long time ago and to the poster above, xzmattzx...., you need to do more of Northern California , it's beauty is unsurpassed in the States, IMO and i would call the Bay Area as the Gateway to Northern California and what's south of it is considered Central California and maybe the dividing line to Southern California would be Santa Barbara but a Calif native can correct me on that if incorrect

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:27 PM
urbanphile

I fell in love with this town when I stopped there for breakfast on the way to Lassen (which is also worth the trip).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 7:39 PM

Thanks, as always, for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
Great small town that i have visited but a long time ago and to the poster above, xzmattzx...., you need to do more of Northern California , it's beauty is unsurpassed in the States, IMO and i would call the Bay Area as the Gateway to Northern California and what's south of it is considered Central California and maybe the dividing line to Southern California would be Santa Barbara but a Calif native can correct me on that if incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Another county seat, with the courthouse for proof. I asked this before: how many county seats in California have you visited? Are you more aware of them because I asked about them once already?

My experience with northern California (not sure where the line between north and south is) is only San Francisco, taking the train from the airport through South San Francisco, Daly City, et al into San Francisco, and some of the towns of Marin County. Marin County was a really nice place to me; the dry hills, redwood forests, waterfront towns, etc. How much of northern California is like that? Was Red Bluff like that?
There are 58 counties in California and, after this trip, I've photographed 43 of the county seats and visited 51. As for my inspiration, I would definitely say your previous comment drew my attention to our counties seats as seeing them was never a calculated effort before. But, they make for a good starting point, particularly in this part of the state as they are often the largest cities. Part of my overall inspiration too has been one of my friends who moved to California six years ago from Georgia and who has been to every county in CA on his motorcycle in that time frame. I haven't accomplished seeing all of California living here for my whole life (33 years), so, I have some catching up to do! I have six more threads planned from this trip and they will all include county seats.

As to the demarcation of "Northern California", sterlippo is right, pretty much everything from the Bay Area north could fall under that category with central California including Montery and Merced down to Bakersfield/San Luis Obispo. Different people might argue this differently, but, that is the general idea. Really, though, there is no common identity in those labels. California is more divided by the coast, valley, and mountains and even that varies.

As to the geography, California is quite diverse and Northern California is no different. Overall, of course, we have the drier climate, particularly in the summer, so, we tend to have that burnt grass look for a good part of the year (though I have a thread planned that will show our greener side). What you saw in Marin is the start of our Redwood forests which pretty much continue along the coastal mountains into Oregon. It is the wettest part of California so it is the greenest and gets thicker as you go north. I've done some threads of cities in Mendocino and Humboldt counties, but, I have yet to make it to Del Norte on the Oregon border.

The middle of Northern California is comprised of the Sacramento Valley, so, flat farmland, making its way to rolling hills in the Red Bluff/Redding area, then the start of the southern Cascades with a few dormant or extinct volcanoes thrown in (Shasta, Lassen, and Sutter Buttes).

The eastern part of Northern California comprises of the Sierra Nevada mountain range dominated with mostly pine tree forests (this is where I grew up) and the northest bordering Nevada/Oregon you find higher elevation deserts, plateaus, and ancient lava beds. Even that doesn't do it all justice. As sterlippo said, it is beautifully diverse scenery. I didn't have the time to take a lot of landscape photos unfortunately, but, I did take a few, so, hopefully some of my other threads will give you a better visual idea.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 11:44 PM
Bah!

Beautiful town. I love the well preserved Victorians but too bad the most unique home on your tour (#18) is the one that's in the worst shape.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:37 AM
Closed account

I've heard of Red Bluff many times but had no idea what it looked like. Very nice town and natural setting.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
I fell in love with this town when I stopped there for breakfast on the way to Lassen (which is also worth the trip).
Mt Lassen is incredible.....i remember driving up it with walls of snow on each side of my car, like you were on a bobsled track and that was in July...........truly a fascinating place. Mt Shasta is awe inspiring and Lake Tahoe area not even mentioned and it has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth despite the summer traffic. I've driven the coast many ,many times and it never gets old getting as far north as Crescent City and south to the Mexican border. California , what a place!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 4:46 PM

Looks like a charming town with great housing stock. I really enjoy your ongoing California tour. I've only been to the Bay Area, LA, and the Mojave Desert, so there's so much California I need to see.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 8:57 PM

Thanks! There is definitely a lot to California and when I'm frustrated I can't take the time off or have the money to travel to far away places, I have to remind myself how fortunate I am I live here. The Mojave Desert is yet another place in the state I have yet to explore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos