HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:05 PM

Weaverville, CA

After my sister changed her mind last minute not to go out of state for college, and no longer need my help to move, I decided to use my week to take an impromptu road trip up through Northern California. I traveled over 900 miles over the course of 3.5 days and got to see a good slice of the middle part of our state. I hope you enjoy.

Winters/Willows - Red Bluff - Redding

Weaverville, CA (pop 3,600)

Weaverville is located along state route 299 between Redding (45 miles to the West) and Arcata (100 miles to the East along the coast). The community is at an elevation of 2,051 feet and is the seat of Trinity County. Oddly enough, my step dad was almost transferred as a manager to the Longs store (now CVS) when I was in sixth grade and I remember being horrified at the thought of moving "all the way up there". Having now seen it for the first time, Weaverville is not much different than the old gold rush towns I grew up in the Sierra Nevada foothills. I imagine Weaverville now survives on forestry and tourism.

The story about these stairs will come later

Trinity County Courthouse

The front of the courthouse

The backside of the courthouse is a little bland

Back to the spiral staircases...

...and their story.

Real Estate is all about location!

Like many gold rush towns, Weaverville had a significant Chinese population. According the California State Park website, the temple here is the oldest continuously used Chinese temple in California.

A little bit of nature to conclude our journey to Weaverville

Tour of California 1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo, 56: Sacramento River Pt 1, 57: Sacramento River Pt 2, 58: Lake Merritt/Oakland, 59: Marysville/Yuba City, 60: Woodland, 61: Beverly Hills"62: Los Angeles, 63: Sacramento, 64: Lakeport, 65: South Lake Tahoe, 66: Salinas, Watsonville, 67: Pacific Grove. 68: Winters/Willows, 69: Red Bluff, 70: Redding

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:27 PM

I am always on the lookout for a new Stepper thread.

Weaverville is cute. This is the first time I have seen spiral staircases on front sidewalks. Funny that they couldn't think of a better way of dealing with dual ownership. Interesting bit of history & adds to the cuteness.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:53 PM
urbanphile

Thank God for E Clampus Vitus and there random trivia plaques!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Clampus_Vitus

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 8:13 PM
Pipe Layer

Love it! Without the cars it seems like a place stuck in the late 1800s.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 8:39 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Seems like a pleasant place.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 10:52 PM

Great photo thread Stepper! Weaverville is definitely quite the cute town.

I absolutely love the Trinity Alps. They're one of the best kept secrets in California when it comes to nature and recreation. I've spent many a trips backpacking, camping and bicycling through those picturesque mountains seemingly forgotten due to their larger, more popular counterparts the Sierras and relative isolation to any of the major population centers on the West Coast. I didn't get up here this past summer for an annual backpacking trip, and by now the peaks will have fresh snow. It'll be a good 8-9 months by the time I get up that way again, but I always look forward to it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 11:15 PM

Thank you for another great California photo thread. I've been meaning to ask you, could you re-up the set you did on Redwood City/Foster City/San Mateo if you still have the pics?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:47 AM

Nice pictures. That courthouse has to be the smallest/humblest courthouse in the US. The simplest one that I've seen before this one is the Forest County Courthouse in Tionesta, PA (here).

Northern California continues to look like a great pklace to explore. The forests and mountains look great and with the sunndy days in your pictures I can imagine a beautiful mid-day with a song like thisor maybe this as background music.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 6:27 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
I am always on the lookout for a new Stepper thread.

Weaverville is cute. This is the first time I have seen spiral staircases on front sidewalks. Funny that they couldn't think of a better way of dealing with dual ownership. Interesting bit of history & adds to the cuteness.
I agree. I'm not sure that I have ever seen such an architecture feature before. I could only imagine a whole long street of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
Thank God for E Clampus Vitus and there random trivia plaques!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Clampus_Vitus
Wow, thanks for sharing! I've never noticed who provides the information on these plaques before. Very interesting. I especially liked the "historical drinking society" bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbassett View Post
Great photo thread Stepper! Weaverville is definitely quite the cute town.

I absolutely love the Trinity Alps. They're one of the best kept secrets in California when it comes to nature and recreation. I've spent many a trips backpacking, camping and bicycling through those picturesque mountains seemingly forgotten due to their larger, more popular counterparts the Sierras and relative isolation to any of the major population centers on the West Coast. I didn't get up here this past summer for an annual backpacking trip, and by now the peaks will have fresh snow. It'll be a good 8-9 months by the time I get up that way again, but I always look forward to it.
This is my first encounter with the Trinity Mountains and it definitely has the similar charm to the mountains I grew up in. One of my friends takes his motorcycle up there all the time. It is definitely a place I will have to explore more of in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Thank you for another great California photo thread. I've been meaning to ask you, could you re-up the set you did on Redwood City/Foster City/San Mateo if you still have the pics?
Those photos (except Foster City) were from a day I spent on Caltrain going up from San Jose to San Mateo and stopping at each main city along the way (Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc). It was quite fun actually. Since that thread seems to have been retired, I'll just link the ones from my personal website. Just forgive the rudimentary web design. It is in desperate need for an update.

Redwood City

Foster City / Redwood Shores

San Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. That courthouse has to be the smallest/humblest courthouse in the US. The simplest one that I've seen before this one is the Forest County Courthouse in Tionesta, PA (here).

Northern California continues to look like a great pklace to explore. The forests and mountains look great and with the sunndy days in your pictures I can imagine a beautiful mid-day with a song like thisor maybe this as background music.
The courthouse is deceptively large (long really) just looking at the front, but, it is definitely more subdued than most. In fact, out of all the courthouses I've seen, I'm not sure if I've ever encountered one that appeared just like any other store front or business, without the requisite plaza, park, or garden surrounding.

Those weren't the tunes I was listening on the way, but, the vibe is definitely accurate.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 6:59 PM

Stepper, will you being go through Chico? My hubby is from there and eager to see pictures.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 7:48 PM
Eurosceptic

California... is there nothing you can't do?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
California... is there nothing you can't do?
nope,and ESPECIALLY Northern California, there is no more beautiful place in these here States, I am sure of it

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:11 AM

Weaverville is definitely a cute town, and Trinity County is beautiful. I've only been through there once, back in the fall of 1998, when my partner and I went on a sort of honeymoon and took a road trip up and down California; we went in late October, so the foliage was very beautiful with the leaves all changing to their autumn colors.

However I don't remember the brick crosswalks or faux antique streetlamps, which I guess are fine, but they sort of take away some of the rustic quality I remember the town having; those must've been added after I visited. And to be honest, off the subject and not to take anything away from your beautiful photo tour, I'm kind of tired of the faux antique streetlamps that seem to have been popping up everywhere in the last 10 years or so; particularly if a street historically didn't even have those kinds of streetlamps before.

OK, off my soapbox. Again, great photos!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 5:02 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Great thread, stepper. You are the man at capturing little towns that are off the beaten track. I've never been to this one. Interesting story about the staircases. I haven't noticed that anywhere else.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:11 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Very pretty. I really need to explore the northern part of CA. San Francisco over to Tohoe is as far north as I have gotten.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:34 AM

Thanks again for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Stepper, will you being go through Chico? My hubby is from there and eager to see pictures.
I did a photo thread of Chico awhile back here. I had been back to Chico since my freshman year of college in 1997.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Weaverville is definitely a cute town, and Trinity County is beautiful. I've only been through there once, back in the fall of 1998, when my partner and I went on a sort of honeymoon and took a road trip up and down California; we went in late October, so the foliage was very beautiful with the leaves all changing to their autumn colors.

However I don't remember the brick crosswalks or faux antique streetlamps, which I guess are fine, but they sort of take away some of the rustic quality I remember the town having; those must've been added after I visited. And to be honest, off the subject and not to take anything away from your beautiful photo tour, I'm kind of tired of the faux antique streetlamps that seem to have been popping up everywhere in the last 10 years or so; particularly if a street historically didn't even have those kinds of streetlamps before.

OK, off my soapbox. Again, great photos!
I kinda agree with you on the lamps. But, I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I criticized them too much as I often photograph them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos